• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slipping in Reverse- update!

I think your rear band is coming apart, which will cause the clearance to go out of adjustment. Retightening the band will get you on the road again temporarily, but it won't stop the band from further deterioration. Ultimately, the transmission will have to come out for a rebuild. You could find more surprises inside.

Help me understand what’s going on. As per previous I had lost reverse but still had forward gears including low manual. I drained the nasty looking fluid that showed considerable metal particles in it - and the few larger pieces that appear non metallic. The other day I adjusted the rear band which did seem loose. When adjusted to spec and the lock nut tightened there is about 3 threads showing on the adjuster bolt. Today I buttoned it back up and refilled with some new, cheap mercon fluid and lo and behold, reverse is back as good as ever. Took it out for a short drive and all gears seem to function just fine, including reverse….
i know from the looks of the fluid and debris in it that something is still wrong and the trans needs a rebuild but I’m inclined now to see if I can salvage the season before a rebuild? What do you transmission guys think?
I say drive it.

Help me understand what’s going on. As per previous I had lost reverse but still had forward gears including low manual. I drained the nasty looking fluid that showed considerable metal particles in it - and the few larger pieces that appear non metallic. The other day I adjusted the rear band which did seem loose. When adjusted to spec and the lock nut tightened there is about 3 threads showing on the adjuster bolt. Today I buttoned it back up and refilled with some new, cheap mercon fluid and lo and behold, reverse is back as good as ever. Took it out for a short drive and all gears seem to function just fine, including reverse….
i know from the looks of the fluid and debris in it that something is still wrong and the trans needs a rebuild but I’m inclined now to see if I can salvage the season before a rebuild? What do you transmission guys think?
IMO....the debris and particles are likely due to wear of the clutch plates, clutch discs, and band friction materials. It is likely that the trans is letting you know its time for a rebuild. The filter was doing it's job but continued use may cause addition wear of the clutch pistons, servos and accumulator pistons, governor pieces and the valve body spools and their respective bores. But....the choice is yours....rebuild it or run it....the longer you wait, will result in higher rebuild costs.....due to increased wear....just a thought.....
BOB RENTON

After waiting all winter to hit the cruise & show circuits I just hate the thought of tying it up for a month to get the work done if it’s working. I think I’m at least going to hold off for the next two weekends to make a couple of Mopar shows. I know it needs a rebuild and putting it off is risky, but…..
I am not a transmission expert by any means but I am also thinking the issue is primarily that rear band coming apart. Once I cleaned the metal dust off those flakes in the picture they don’t appear to be metallic.

If you have all of the parts ready beforehand, the trans can be rebuilt in a weekend. A competent shop should be able to turn it around in a couple days.

The shop told me a couple of weeks. I’ll probably drop it off with him after these couple of shows are done.

The shop told me a couple of weeks. I’ll probably drop it off with him after these couple of shows are done.
You should see what the A500 looked like inside in my 95 Dakota when I dropped the pan on it to install a new filter after the trans started making what sounded like fluid cavitation when putting it in reverse. That usually happens when the filter gets clogged up or so I was told. Anyways, I've never seen a more filthy transmission before. The pan was full of goop and crud. That was 10 years ago. Got to admit, I've been pretty mean to this old Dakota and am easier on it these days. Anyways. If you're not driving it much and don't abuse it, don't see why it won't keep on keeping on for a bit longer. How far away are the shows you want to go to? If they are local, I'd would attend if it were mine but you might drop the pan again after attending and see what shows up. If there's more junk in it, yeah, stop driving it for sure.

From the view of a failed friction element the issue had to be the rear band. The other issue is that line pressure in the transmission when selecting revers is almost double the pressure in the forward gears. If your filter was partially blocked maybe the line pressures were not high enough to hold reverse properly. Nice thi9ng about a torqueflite is they give you a pressure tap to check for pressure at every friction element. Who ever rebuilds the unit, I would defiantly have a pressure check done before taking it apart. Often a neglected part of the diagnosis.

If the pieces looked like dark flakes of paper then your low and reverse band is probably burned or the material is just flaking off because of age. The band applies in both manual low and reverse positions. If it is the band then you might be fine as long as you take it very easy in reverse and don't use manual low but keep in mind that if it slips in reverse then you are probably going to mess up the drum that the band wraps around. Hope that helps. :)

Update - transmission is being rebuilt. First observation, the rear band was worn to metal and had grooved into the drum…. Getting a complete flush and overhaul…

Auto Transport Service
Back