• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sloppy automatic console shifter.

BeepBeepRR

Local time
6:26 AM
Reaction score
I have the new bracket that bolts to the transmission. I have not installed it yet. But is there a kit available for the actual shifter under the console to stiffen it up. The shifter works good its just very loose and isn't accurate.

how's your gearshift control torque shaft bushing? They get worn quite a lot from use.

it's used on 1967-74 A, B, C, and E-Body applications with automatic transmission. Two bushings required for both column and floor shifted automatic transmission equipped cars.

bushing.jpg

I have a new one of those I just have not installed it yet. Its the upper shifter that seems loose.

replace the upper and lower torque shaft bushings (there is 2 bushings that should be replaced), that should take your slop away.

the shifter is all metal , there is nothing you can replace

MP-114-70KIT.jpg

I replaced all my wearable parts on my Coronet's auto floor shifter. It still moves side to side. But I reckon they weren't as tight as today's shifters or even 70s aftermarket shifters.

Auto Transport Service
Back