• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sloppy driver's side remote mirror

1970GTX

Local time
12:44 PM
Reaction score
My driver's side remote mirror is very loose and flops around while driving. To make matters worse the remote arm makes very little movement. Does anyone know of a way to tighten things up? I haven't removed the mirror from the car yet, but the door panel is off as I'm waiting on new door panels. I take it that there is a nut up inside the door to get the mirror off the car, but is there any adjustments that can be made to the cables. This got worse after I removed the nut retaining the remote arm from the door along with all door trim to have the door glass replaced. Any help appreciated. my factory manual doesn't seem to address this.

Not sure about 66-70 mirrors, but my 71-74 mirror was real loose and I took it apart and put small washers against the back of the glass carrier, under the spring "fingers" that keep the cables tight. There was enough spring pressure to trap the washers once all three were in place.

I first tried bending the spring fingers, but no dice. I hapened to have the washers in a size that looked like the hole would just fit around the v shaped spring finger ends.

I am going to replace my remote mirror on my 66 Satillite that was doing the same thing. Do you disconnect the inside control and install the cable through from the outside?
Thanks Dennis

I've got pretty much the identical situation that 1970GTX describes, even the "got worse after taking it off" part. Sure would be nice to have a Fixit guide explain how to salvage the mirror....

Had/seen this issue before. Few things you can do...First, make sure the holes for the mirror/mounting are not pulled up or in, oblong, or cracked in between. Make sure that the the little arm (for moving the mirror around) inside the car is not bent. They bend easy and when they are, the mirror does not move much. Make sure the lead swedges at the remote and at the mirror on the cable have not come out of their slots, if so, the mirror will not move easy. Lubricate the cable.

Use fender washers on the backside of the mirror for mounting or you could also ad a reinforcement plate...

http://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=199-DR028B

good luck

I am going to replace my remote mirror on my 66 Satillite that was doing the same thing. Do you disconnect the inside control and install the cable through from the outside?
Thanks Dennis
On my '70, ya take the inside door panel off, remove the chrome nut securing the remote arm to the door, reach up inside the door and remove the nut securing the mirror to the car and it all comes out from the outside.

I have the same prob w a non-remote mirror. Any way to take the glass out without destroying things? Maybe a set screw in there?

Auto Transport Service
Back