• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small block, tach drive distributor

G.V.Charger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:16 PM
Reaction score
Helping a friend from town, start up his fresh rebuilt stroked small block. He has, and has been using the tach drive distributor that was in the car when purchased(67 Dart GT, and no, it was not O.E.). I have never seen one, took some info from it, did not get a pic, as I left my phone at home. It is a Chrysler
3690200# with I believe a 50 6 number as well. No vacume advance, and a Stewart Warner tachometer. The reason for this post, is the original counter weight springs(mechanical advance), or the weight spring's on it now were, one large and one small, the larger spring, is almost too large, in fact, we had to remove the original springs to get it to function at all(used two small springs). My question is, would the newer or standard Mopar spring kits, have the same springs? or does this distibutor, need specific springs.

It should use the standard springs that were also available from MP.

That is a MP distributor. 50 is the week and 6 is the year. The springs you took out sound like the oem ones from Mopar. They sell springs two really light ones I don't like them they slam into full advance like in this chart. (just about the same) Figure out what you need I have a ton of springs if needed.
upload_2019-5-20_18-30-11.png

Thank you. I was hoping someone could shed some light on this piece. The main problem he was having, was not being able to get it to idle under 1200 rpm. He had the distributor out the night before, installed the old 1 large and 1 small, and reinstalled in motor. Upon first second and third start up, no advance at all. Pulled it out then and reinstalled the two light springs, and it started to work.
This combo needs a good set up tune, the one thing that bothers me is, from all the adjustments made on the weekend, I could not get more than 10 inches of vacume out of her.....
I will collect the build specs, and post them here.
Halifax, year 6 represents 1976?

Yes six is 76 by that number. Make sure it has a decent curve don't think you want it full from the start. Vac really depends on how radical the cam is also.
That distrib is pretty rare also by that time most people ran a electronic tach. Pretty cool to me though.

Auto Transport Service
Back