• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small block tranny replacement

Moms68

Local time
12:00 PM
Reaction score
I’m have a transmission question. I am at a crossroads as to the drivetrain in my car.

It is a ‘68 Charger with a moderately built 340, about 350hp. When the engine was installed several years ago, I had the original 904 rebuilt by a local shop. The tranny was slipping badly under a load immediately so I drove the car back to that shop. They supposedly installed a shift kit which stopped the slipping, but soon after the car starting shifting weird. 1 to 2 second gear shifts almost back to back. The engine makes a lot of power but it’s not getting to the rear wheels.

Fast forward to now. I want to replace the small block transmission and upgrade to a 727 or.... go to a big block. I understand the small and big transmissions are different so I don’t want to throw away money.

If I go with just a SB transmission what do you guys suggest. I see Mancini Racing has several.

Learn to do them yourself. You'll save money. 904 for your current application is fine. It was already wounded when the kit was installed. a well built near stock 904 can handle 650 hp easy, probably more.
Doug

When the new trans. goes back in,make sure the transmission's throttle (kickdown) linkage is adjusted correctly. You can toast your new trans. if it is not.

If you can get a used 727 cheap that needs a rebuild, that's the way to go, not too expensive to reseal it plus put all new clutches and steels, a couple of 100 bucks, it the easiest tranny to rebuild, if you go 904, it will cost about the same but not as strong as a 727. You can rebuild this yourself, watch You tube video's, some of them are very good. I'm not a transmission tech and have rebuild over a dozen of them, all worked great.

I just finished a 904 for a customer. Also built the engine. He wanted a 383. But after talking he had a 68 Satellite convertible with a 318. For ease of using existing parts we decided on a 360 Magnum 904 combo. The 904 used a low gear set, Raybestos frictions, TF 2 shift kit, 3.8 lever, 4 clutch front drum, E bay deep pan. TCI street converter. Nothing fancy. The engine used a .550 roller cam, Performer RPM, Eddy heads, Eddy 650 carb, headers. We used the 904 because we had one. It used the existing drive shaft. It's quicker. There is a low cost low gear set available so with the 3.23 gear 1st gear ratio mirrors a 3.70. This combo will live a long time.
Doug

Last edited:
I just finished a 904 for a customer. Also built the engine. He wanted a 383. But after talking he had a 68 Satellite convertible with a 318. For ease of using existing parts we decided on a 360 Magnum 904 combo. The 904 used a low gear set, Raybestos frictions, TF 2 shift kit, 3.8 lever, 4 clutch front drum, E bay deep pan. TCI street converter. Nothing fancy. The engine used a .550 roller cam, Performer RPM, Eddy heads, Eddy 650 carb, headers. We used the 904 because we had one. It used the existing drive shaft. It's quicker. There is a low cost low gear set available so with the 3.23 gear 1st gear ratio mirrors a 3.70. This combo will live a long time.
Doug
Doug- thank you very much for the detail in your response. Even before I read your post, I decided to pull the 904 and have it professionally rebuilt by a local performance tranny shop. I have a feeling there’s issues with the shift kit that was put in mine as well as other problems from the first rebuild. I like the idea of the lower first gear for take-offs and have the cruising of the 3.23’s. Also will consider the 3.8 lever and other suggestions. What stall is the converter you used in this build?

2400. The owner bought it. To be honest not sure that it was the best available. I'd check with Kenny Ford at PTC.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back