• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small Roller Cam's for B or RB

66/440

Local time
1:09 AM
Reaction score
Given all the issues that seem to exist in the market with lifters these days I am considering a roller cam for my 400 build. It will be a very mild daily driver and looking for torque over HP. I have looked extensively but can not seem to locate an off the shelf roller cam from any of the aftermarket manufacturers. I would appreciate suggestions as to manufacturers and anyone who has done a build like this either in a B or RB.

I’m considering the same option for a 327 build I’m working on. Chet Herbert is listing several hydraulic roller cams for big block Mopar’s. If you are using factory cast heads I will recommend lift under .500 and duration @ .050 no more than .224

I’m considering the same option for a 327 build I’m working on. Chet Herbert is listing several hydraulic roller cams for big block Mopar’s. If you are using factory cast heads I will recommend lift under .500 and duration @ .050 no more than .224
Thanks, I will have a look.

Depends on what sort of lift you want. Keep in mind the purpose of a roller cam has nothing to do with lift, a roller cam allows for a very steep ramp - which a flat tappet cannot handle in the same fashion. But the bottom line is, if you ask, a cam manufaturer will make any size roller cam you want. Have a look at Lunati cams but honestly I don't think you'll find any solid rollers with much less than .600 lift

Given all the issues that seem to exist in the market with lifters these days I am considering a roller cam for my 400 build. It will be a very mild daily driver and looking for torque over HP. I have looked extensively but can not seem to locate an off the shelf roller cam from any of the aftermarket manufacturers. I would appreciate suggestions as to manufacturers and anyone who has done a build like this either in a B or RB.

Lunati has a couple small shelf grinds, if you wanted hydraulic roller.
Voodoo Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Cam - Chrysler 361-440 262/270

Voodoo Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Cam - Chrysler 361-440 262/270

Crane used to be a decent source for that kind of thing as well but they're gone.

My favorite config is solid street roller, I've set up my last two engines that way and am pretty satisfied with the experience, but mine are much weekend street/strip toy and I am not attempting any daily driving.

You can absolutely find a roller, hydraulic or solid, that will suit your needs (lower duration and lift)...but it may require getting a custom spec'd grind...which typically doesn't cost much, if any, more than something from the store (going roller in a B/RB gets expensive anyway, but I'm sure you know that).
Best bet is to call and discuss with Dwayne Porter/Porter Racing Heads (a member on here), Mike Jones @ Jones Cams will also steer you right (has a great "RV" grind which is what it sounds like you want)...or if you want to select your own lobes, check out the master list at Bullet Cams. You can call Tim there also and he can help you pick something to suit your needs.
Good luck!

Comp has considerable solid roller lobes with less than 0.55” valve lift

The OP has stated he is looking to build a very mild daily driver so I’m thinking a solid lifter cam is off the table.

I have no idea what he’s looking for, but it was stated that there was not much available under .600” in a solid roller, where in fact there are a lot.

I have no idea what he’s looking for, but it was stated that there was not much available under .600” in a solid roller, where in fact there are a lot.

Never really stated what lift I am looking for. Build will be a factory 400 in a daily driver '78 4x4. 452 heads with bigger valves and some minor bowl work, Holly EFI on an old school DP4B, Holly controller will control an MSD distributor. KB pistons to help increase compression a little and an .023 steel head gasket. Factory exhaust manifolds that been extrude honed to open them up a little. Looking for drivability and reliability. AC,PS,PB.
Just trying to bypass the issues I have had with lifters on the past couple of builds. I know a roller is not the cheap way out unless you consider the possibility of replacing a cam and lifters more than once. Pay once cry once is kinda my mantra these days. Tired of replacing cams and lifters. No worries about break-in's. I will run it in on my run stand, check for leaks and if everything is good it will go in the truck and stay, fingers crossed.

Comp Cams have a large range of roller cam lobes, sol & hyd, in street friendly durations. Custom grind price is the same as a shelf grind. Ask for Chris Ryan at Comp..

Auto Transport Service
Back