• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small to Big Block Engine Swap

cngordon

Local time
2:56 PM
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1969 Sport satellite. The vin shows it as a 318 car, but someone has dropped a 383 + 727 in it.

The engine sits too low in the compartment, as well as sitting a slant, the right side of the oil pan is lower than the left. The steering is lightly brushing the bottom of the oil pan. I took it to a frame shop this morning and it never made it onto a hoist, but from looking at it under the hood he tells me that the engine is also in crooked a small bit, and that this is not uncommon.

I understand that the 318 cars had a different K-Member to support the engine mounts, but that there is a conversion kit available for installing a big block onto the small block k-member and mounts.

is anyone familiar with this kit ? or have any advice or comments on the problem i'm seeing ?

The fellow at the frame shop told me that he has seen this before and that you have to change the hole in the motor mount to an oval from a round hole to realign the motor to a straight position.

I can only see one type of motor mount at Jegs/Summit. It appears to fit for all 8-cyl engines.

Cal G, (69 Sport Satellite)

You don't need a "kit" to put a BB in where the SB was. All you need are the correct engine plates for the motor mounts. The isolators (the rubber part of the mount) are the same, as is the trans mount. So if you have the correct for B motor in a B body plates it's a snap.

My guess is either you have a busted mount, or someone didn't have a clue as to what they were doing.

This wagon started life as a 318/904 with p/s, p/b, and a/c. When done it was a 440+6 and 727 with all the power options still intact. Just motor plates, different drive shaft, exhaust, and stretched about 3 wires under the hood.

wagon.jpg

What 69 runner said!!!! My 65' Satellite started life as a poly 318/727 now has 440/727. Sets level and at correct height..

I spoke to a tech at Schumacher, he cleared it up for me. The K member is identical regardless what 8 cly you have. The frame mounts welded to the car are identical. The engine mounts are different for a big block and small block and you cannot bolt the wrong mount to an engine..

He tells me that i likely have a C-Body oil pan which is prob about 2.5 inches or more in depth where the steering linkage crosses, and the correct oil pan for a b-body should only be 1.5 to 1.75 inches deep.

very nice people at Schumacher.

Cal G

picture of my car. Purchased it off ebay near Flint Michigan and drove it 1700 miles (approx 3000 km) home to Saskatchewan Canada in 2.5 days. Tranny leaked all the way home, but i had a blast.

69_sat_01.JPG

I've been there done that with the C body pan Mancini racing at manciniracing.com has fair prices for new pans and while your at it. I suggest a windage tray.

Thanks for the advice. Nice to find folks that will help out like that.

I'll have to wait till after i'm done a few house reno's before i can make that a project, but hopefully not to long.

Cal G

Whoa there!!!!???? Do I understand this correctly? I have a C Body 383 going into my 66 Plymouth Satellite and now you all are saying I need a different Oil Pan and Pickup? I already have a Windage Tray in it and the Motor is still out. What is with that anyway? The Oil Pan should clear with no problems should it not. I really need clarification on this as now my project is set back another 2 months if in fact this is correct.....

Here are two pics of what your pan should be shaped like. This happens to be the 6 quart Hemi pan, but you get the idea. If this ain't it, then you need to change the pan

P0001981.jpg

P0001980.jpg

69 Runner

Could i trouble you for a couple pictures while you got it on the hoist showing the right side header from underneath, and how close it gets to the Transmission. My header (the collector) was touching my transmission. I do not know what brand they are or if they are the correct headers.

I've been told that if you want a good fit buy hookers, anyone got thoughts on brand/price as far as getting well designed/fitting headers ?

Cal G

Header touching Transmission Right Side

69 Road

Could you post a picture showing the header relative to the transmission on your car while you got it on the hoist ?

headers_touching_tranny_03.jpg

Weeeeeelllll.....I don't own the car anymore and it is/was a 4 speed, so I don't know that it will help much. But here's a pic anyway

P0001978.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back