• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Smoke issue

379Petercar

Local time
9:05 PM
Reaction score
Hello. Any help would be greatly appreciated. First Mopar and it is a 440 in a 65 Belvedere with 2 4 barrel stock intake. Had leaking valve covers - replaced gaskets and covers so hopefully that is fixed. All oil/residue from engine bay has been cleaned. But now having smoke coming out from underneath the head somewhere around the header. And does it immediately within minutes of start up. Any thoughts?

did it smoked before you did the gaskets?

do you see oil on the block?

Maybe there's oil leftover from the leaking valve cover gaskets that found its way under and inside the manifolds/headers that's still burning off?

Maybe there's oil leftover from the leaking valve cover gaskets that found its way under and inside the manifolds/headers that's still burning off?
That’s what I’m thinking but it persists and I’ve started up and drove several times since I changed all the parts out and cleaned it up.

s there a sweet smell if so coolant leak

s there a sweet smell if so coolant leak
That could be a possibility because I’ve wiped the header off several times from the oil leak but I’ve never seen a visible water/coolant leak.

Smells like a cross between oil and coolant with a tinge of burning electrical.

Manifold studs/bolts do go into the water jacket in the heads. If not sealed they will leak coolant. I like Permatex #2 on these fasteners.

Valve cover gaskets don't always seal if the valve cover is out of shape or were over torqued.

Smells like a cross between oil and coolant with a tinge of burning electrical.[/QUOTE]

That is a rare bouquet.
Spray the distributor cap, coil, and wires with rattle can Clear Acrylic (or distributor water proofer if you want to spend 4 times as much for the same stuff) and go to the car wash. Get it clean so you can see better.

Did you make sure the valve cover bolt holes were not bent inward before installing the new gaskets? That is a common problem that causes leaks.

Header flange probably not straight/flat. I've had issues with this and had my headers plained, used proper gaskets and thread sealer and problem solved.

Header flange probably not straight/flat. I've had issues with this and had my headers plained, used proper gaskets and thread sealer and problem solved.
That’s a good idea because I was leaning that way. Thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back