• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So good news is did my first burnout ever...

Claytonhc

Local time
7:28 AM
Reaction score
Ok so the good news is I got the car running good enough to do my very first burnout at 31 years old.. I'm not talking like a little chirp ... I'm talking 30 foot long burnout with enough smoke to make a hippy hug a tree and cry. I've always been somewhat cautious and peculiar about taking care of my things. But alas I did it ... my cup runneth over with the tears of flower children.
It was also the first i drove it for an extended amount of time (35 min). All in all, it felt really good considering the car barely had enough power to pull itself over the hill of my driveway when I first got it.
Ok so the bad news #1 .... i had relatively new tires on it before I drove it. when I got back the rear tires where completely bald only on the outboard side of the tire. The inboard side still had tread. When I looked at it from the rear it almost seems as if the rear tires have a positive camber and are pigeon toed. I know the bald tires arent from the burnout because it's not a posi and I only did it once ( bad news #2 lol) but my only guess is that the 8 3/4 rear end housing is bent from whenever it was hit. I don't know what else it could be. But I was wondering if any other rear ends ( A, E, body or dodge truck) will fit. I can get a housing cheap right now from a barracuda. Not sure if that will work though.
Problem #2 is that I can't seem to get the Kickdown to ever start from 1st. Unless I shift it there from the column. I just adjusted the linkage and I'm not sure if it had too much play in it or if I need to get into the valve body. I've been looking and researching the adjustments that can be made inside. But it seems that only controls how long the transmission stays in a specific gear as rpms increase.
Problem #3 before I took it out I replaced the intake gasket and pan. At the bottom of the valley right above the cam in the little lip there was silvery metal dust in the oil towards cyl #1. I'm assuming this is from the cam and lifters?
I don't know. I'm taking a break from it until I do some research and figure out what to do next. Not sure if I should have started with body and paint or mechanical. My reasoning with starting out with functionality, was that after I figure out what's all wrong, I can strip it and replace it with the good parts.

So this is what the tread looks like in the rear. Its kind of disheartening because if it's not the axle then it means the rear frame rails are bent. Like I'm hoping it's just the housing but I don't know. If the frame rails are bent would it even be worth it or feasible to build the car? I'm trying not to get discouraged but when it comes to the structure of a car being damaged I feel like it's a little over my head.

20161103_031938.jpg 20161103_031912.jpg

I should also mention that it was hit pretty hard on the left side and I can see oblong holes all over the frame from where it was straightened on a rack

I just adjusted the linkage and I'm not sure if it had too much play in it or if I need to get into the valve body.
Have you adjusted the kick-down band? It requires a 5/16" square socket - simple procedure on the 727.

This is why 'frame shops' exist. Take it to one and they can diagnose the problem. Ones that have been around for a long time can also straighten the housing if that's the problem. Don't get discouraged...

Have you adjusted the kick-down band? It requires a 5/16" square socket - simple procedure on the 727.
I think I have the kick down figured out now I'm just trying to figure out what to do with the frame or rear end issue

Auto Transport Service
Back