• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I'm still looking for bent sheet metal dashes

What I'm saying is my dash looked the same as the one in the pic before the wood trim and raised gauge area. Make a stencil to gauge the profile you want, bend a piece of 16 gauge in a break to match your profile and voila, that's your starting point. The pockets for the stereo, vents, etc are easily fabbed individually out of the same 16 gauge then welded into place and smoothed out with a little filler. I'll repeat using the original dash frame will save you some headaches not to mention keeping the VIN in placebis a real good idea. The biggest thing is taking it easy on the welding, you'll warp the crap out of it if you try to lay big beads (just plug and spot welds).

The stereo and A/C vent openings are all seperate boxes that were tig welded in and then ground smooth.

The vent is just a hole cutout in the place he wanted, the ignition is just a hole cut out then a cylinder put in there and the face of the cylinder cut off even withe the face of the dash, the stereo is just a 3 sided box done the same way. The place where you can break your metal at should be able to help you with all of this, pretty simple really. then you just have to know how to weld aluminum

Auto Transport Service
Back