• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So which is it??

jeff Mentzer

Local time
1:03 AM
Reaction score
Ok folks, I recenlty purchased what I thought was a 1966 Plymouth Satellite that someone was making into a '67 GTX clone. My vin states its a 1966 Plymouth Belvedere/Satellite convertible with a factory 361 big block.

I wanted to remove all of the belvedere/gtx emblems and put the sorrect Satellite emblems on, but the '66 Satellite front fender emblems I purchased have three tabs and my fender only has 2 holes.

So the question is, is this convertible actually a Belvedere? And what other emblem would go beneath the belvedere tag?

If the second digit of your VIN is a P then it is a Satellite. If it is an H then it is a Belvedere 2.

well its a P but the there is only 2 holes for the emblem and both of those holes dont line up with any on the satellite emblem...its weird

Are you sure it's the original fender? Even if it is the original, someone may have filled the original holes if the car has been repainted. Just a couple of thoughts...

Sounds like Belvedere fenders on a Satellite.

and Satellite emblems were from 65 until 70 (later really but the script changed).

So they could be 65, 66/67, or 68-70

A 361 car would also have "Commando v8" fender emblems.

67 fenders- 2 headlights

66- single headlight and turn signal

buckets are different.

well it turns out that someone sometime in the past has swapped the front fenders on this satellite for a set of '67 belvedere front fenders. I found a spot of flaking paint that has a metallic blue paint. I know this car is a satellite, but looks like I'll have to keep the belvedere emblems on it...

I wouldn't use the term "common" but more than a few times I've seen a 66 shell used to make a 67 GTX clone.

Oops, already posted above.

Can you have the holes welded closed?

10 minute job for a decent welder.

On a completly different note, they made less than 400 Satellite convertibles with a 361, in 1966.

Just curious, do you by chance have the production numbers for 66 Dodge Coronet 500, Convert, 361, 4 Spd, Red (I think PP1), black interior? Thanks in advance, B.

well it turns out that someone sometime in the past has swapped the front fenders on this satellite for a set of '67 belvedere front fenders. I found a spot of flaking paint that has a metallic blue paint. I know this car is a satellite, but looks like I'll have to keep the belvedere emblems on it...
for a minute there, I thought you had a big ole nasty satellite 4 wheel drive looking at your avatar

Yes. Those are the numbers I have for 1966, 361,4 speed coronet 500 convert. They might not be 100% accurate, but they should be close. It was not a common combination. The were a few more 383 4 speed in that body.

It has been in my wife's family since near new. It will stay in the family. That said, it is a pretty rare car. But, you know what they day about some rare cars, "Some are rare for a reason, no one wanted that combo". But, I still think it is exciting to have a rather rare car. Don't you think? Best B.

Auto Transport Service
Back