• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Solid State Voltage Regulator

QQBlue1

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:00 PM
Reaction score
Hello. At idle the voltage at my battery was anywhere between 13 to 15.5 volts. At 3000rpm it would rise to over 16v. The voltage on the ignition lead into the mechanical voltage regulator and the field going out was the same (around 15v), plus the ammeter was jumping all over the place. When I unhooked the field from the Alternator (the green wire), everything leveled out at around 13v, even with increased rpms.

I put on a solid state regulator from auto zone, part # VR706, reattached the green field wire to the alternator and my voltage at the battery settled down to 14.20 at 700 - 750 rpm at idle, and would raise to 14.90/15.00v at 3000rpm but no higher as I increased to 4000. There is also a voltage drop from the field side of the regulator and from the ballast to the coil. The ammeter is no longer jumping wildly, but when I turn on the blinkers there is substantial needle bounce.

I have two questions:
1. The regulator is working, but the volt readings seem a little high, maybe not enough to cook the battery, but I'm wondering if I need to keep at this. BTW, it is a 318 in a 68 Charger.

2. I have the gauge cluster half way out in order to get to the hazard lights and tach, and therefore it isn't grounded to the dash frame. Would this effect the blinker needle bounce on the ammeter?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The voltage reg Must have a good Ground, making good contact to the body of the car. You can get a misleading reading......Check the battery. Make sure it's not going bad. It will cause the system to overcharge also.

Thanks. The battery checked out good. I'm going to re-drill one of the Voltage Regulator mounts and se if that makes a difference.

1. Does seem a little high, but also there isn't much battery load if you're just sitting in the driveway revving the motor. If you see 15v at the battery going down the road, that's high
2. Most old mopars I've had, the blinkers make the amp meter jump a little.

voltage is about normal....different meters read differently. Also, it will read higher when outside temp is lower..it will level off at operating temp

My ammeter jumps with the turn signals too..... Voltage "Should" remain pretty constant, with an increase in Amperage as the vehicles electronics demand more from your charging system.... That's why your Ammeter bounces around with flashers in sequence... Kinda like watching a metronome......

Think of an Ammeter as a system "Demand" indicator, and a Voltage Meter as a system "Health/status" indicator..

I like 67 B-body's description and the explanation from A383 Wing. I was testing the volts in temperatures what ranged from 5 to 25 degrees. Now that the temperatures are warming the highest reading I've had is 14.8 at 3500 rpm.

Auto Transport Service
Back