• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some Dick Landy stuff....

I read an interview wihere Landy said that this young kid Steve walked into his shop and asked him to take his 71 Challenger and make it exactly like his Pro Stock Challenger. Landy said he was supposed to build the whole car,but the kid ran out of money and the kid took the uncompleted car back to Detroit. I believe from there Mike Fons took over the build. I don't think Landy would lie about that. The stance and setup looks pretty similar.

R (59).jpg

the-heirs-of-woodward-avenue-detroits-1970s-street-racing-culture-archived-feature-car-and-dri...jpg

mopp_0706_11_z+mopar_drag_racing_legend_dandy_dick_landy+dodge_challenger.jpg

From "Yellow Bullet"

headbolt
40 posts · Joined 2010

#130 · Sep 7, 2017
"Just to set a few things straight, Steve Lisk worked for Fons when that car was built, Mikes brother Kenny did most of the fabrication.A lot of the parts came from Mikes pile of used pro stock pieces.Lisk did race Joe on 696 on a Saturday night, I was there, Lisk left with wheels in the air and again in second, the mustang wasn't much of a match for the mopar."

Another guy said he remembered the car being built by Fons, as he regularly stopped by the shop to make payments on a Hemi purchase.

The story I heard was Steve tried to put the car together himself with friends after he got it back from Landy,and couldn't get the setup right,or get it to run right. Fons took the car tore it completely apart and started over and rebuilt it into it's nine second configuration. I'm only going by what Landy said in the interview. He said that he started the car,the kid ran out of money and took the car back home.

The 68 Landy cars. Note the hoodscoop over the cowl vent,grabbing air at the base of the windshield like a Chevy cowl hood.

f01e3b857eb048dd3d001da9ab855984.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back