• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sometimes the cheater bar is not enough.

I have yet to see LH thread in plumbing. Them joints usually come apart with two BFH's. That must have been something special.

except the left hand thread on the odd cast iron rad

I have used rope with as many loops I can get then twisted with another wrench

Last time I used a cheater getting the splines to line up in the suregrip. Coming up with something to hold the patient can be more challenging than the actual leverage that's needed.
View attachment 1092488
Made a rig to do that, pictures on another computer very similar only had to use my axles. Couple hours to make, 5 minutes to line up splines. Geezus.

Last edited:
Years ago I was working on a large hydraulic accumulator, the discharge had a bolted flange, a ball valve & 2 1/2" threaded fittings.... As part of the O/H I needed to disassemble al the plumbing, clean out the old sealer & apply new... I had the accumulator chained down in a 12' x 3' steel bed so it wasn't going anywhere... I'd been using a 36" pipe wrench & things wouldn't budge.... I added a 36" cheater, gave it a few pretty good pulls & nothing was moving... Being pipe thread I expected when things started to move it would be a gradual (controlled) reduction of torque.. I set the pipe wrench & bar up so the pull point was above my head about 2' & applied my full weight to the bar.... Suddenly I had a length of pipe trying to go through my head.... The pipe thread never budged.. But I neglected to notice the machined thread where the valve was assembled.... Lesson learned... Pay more attention... Luckily I was able to mostly catch the pipe, it barely touched my head....

I had a hyd cly once that refused to let the nut loose! I set it up on my bench vise used a skid steer to hold table down then used a back hoe to loosen nut! My boss walked out of office in the middle of this. Took a picture then went back in !
We got a hyd nut remover shipped up from a different shop I guess safety man saw picture and told them to get me proper tooling!!!!

Used a track hoe to loosen it's own track bolts out on side of road

It looks to me that they are working on a hydraulic cylinder, probably to replace the packing. Those Rigid handles are cast and the D shackle holding that chain would break that cast handle in no time.
Think "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link". Like @moparedtn said, when that handle breaks, all hell is breaking loose. I have changed many a packing in cylinders, and they can be a real bitch to get apart. Especially on a piece of equipment that spends it's whole life digging in the mud/dirt. Your "heat wrench" is your best friend.
If I had to fathom a guess, that picture was set up for "click bait" and nothing more. I could be wrong, but anybody with the know-how to repair hydraulic cylinders would know that's an accident waiting to happen.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back