• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sort of surprised by my buddies 69 Hemi Roadrunner

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:23 AM
Reaction score
He went on a road trip with a HS buddy of his who is a shop owner, mechanic and sometimes racer to a nearby car show. He drove his Hemi and his friend took his 67 427 Chevelle which is pretty well built with aluminum heads, headers, 4 bolt block, good sized solid lifter cam and a tremec 5-speed. The Hemi is stock except from a hydraulic roller cam and MSD distributor. He said the roads were empty so they pulled up side-to-side several times to have a go at it and the Hemi pulled the built 427 every time, not by a huge amount but a car length or so. Only problem was his speedometer broke at 120 mph. Knowing how well that Chevelle is built and sometimes raced I was a little surprised his basically stock Hemi took him.

If one only looks at the size and volume of the stock ports on a hemi head it’s easy to see why they pump more air than anything on the planet:thumbsup: then you light the fuel from the center of the chamber then you have the built in scavenging effect with the valves lined up to pull more air and fuel in just flat the best design ever and still is today.

Biggest thing holding back a street hemi was the ridiculously small camshaft.

Biggest thing holding back a street hemi was the ridiculously small camshaft.

Yup... But back then they had trouble controlling valve stability at the RPM's where Hemi's thrive... And the stock Hemi valve springs were causing Hemi camshafts to fail frequently.... A Roller in a Hemi and real serious valve springs is a huge step up....

I'm surprised.

But without real data, It's hard to know if the the hemi is something special, or the 427 has some other issues.

Why do you think a Hemi is used in NHRA Top Fuel? Hmmmmmmmmm

Looks like the Chevelle needs a hemi swap. :D

69RR/426 1/[email protected] wow thats quick!lmao
66vette/427 1/[email protected] thats quicker! still very slow by todays standards!
Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing mopars just that a simple mod can drop these times by seconds!
you need to compare Apples to Apples!
what tires,who's driving,how hard ya wringing it!

I'm surprised.

But without real data, It's hard to know if the the hemi is something special, or the 427 has some other issues.
You're not a closet Cheby lover are you BSB?
What do you mean "If the Hemi is something special". Of course it is, for the reasons stated above among others.

I'm surprised.

The hemi is special,,,,,,,,,either you want one or,,,,,you have one!

7-17-17-008-jpg.jpg 8.15.17-076.jpg 446183-9cf0de51c0855631cfe2074fae0b34a5.jpg 11899839_882793435139593_2504913975358904914_o.jpg

From experience I will say that a Tremec isn’t easy to shift quickly. But, I’d take the Hemi Plymouth any day.

I can’t help but grin every time Al post pics of that blown street hemi in that early b body
Just bad ***!

Just goes to show, an engine with the right combo of parts will run VERY well, not just Hemi's. I have a friend who had a pretty much bone stock 318 3 speed manual in his 72 Duster Twister, & all he did to it was headers, duals & H.V. oil pump. No other mods, still a 2 bbl carb, & it was a freak!

Chrysler had their stuff together, those heads are crazy! Big monster breather, more hemis have powered top fuel cars across the line than any engine I bet, even under a ford or Chevy lid.

The Hemi was built by someone in the area that was supposed to know his business with Hemis and was said to have dyno’d on the stand at 500 hp. I’ve ridden in the car a few times, but usually on city streets while strong, didn’t seem real strong with 3.54 gears and stock manifolds. And I know one of the best things you can do to a Chevy 427 is put a set of headers on it and a good condition L72 will be getting close to 500 hp. The other stuff on the engine - heads, intake, cam - is that much more. He also races a 427 Corvette and has been a working mechanic his whole life so I know that Chevelle is no slouch. But apparently that Hemi really turns on and pulls hard as the rpms and road speed build up. It lived up to its reputation.

Chevelle must be a slouch, it should have beat the hemi given the work done to it. I wouldn’t call it exactly a fair comparison. And a hemi with a Hyd roller isn’t going to do the normal pull to 7k thing and that’s where they really get it done. That being said you gotta drive a stick car. The wrong driver can easily turn a 12 sec car into a 14 sec car. Hemi does kinda make a bbc look small though :lol:

F9591953-39CE-47E7-B5EC-8E0BA3574ED5.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back