• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sort of surprised by my buddies 69 Hemi Roadrunner

From a roll on a brand newly paved two lane rural highway. One pull he described as through upper mid range. Last one was top end. Said his speedometer broke with a whap, whap, whap at 120. He’s not sure yet if it’s the cable or the head. Hemi guy said his wife was screaming and beating him about the shoulders at the time so I guess he was also carrying an additional passenger.

That is one detail I’m not sure of. I’ll have to ask him at the next cruise night. Weather has turned kind of wet and cold here so not sure we will have one this Friday.

If you run from a roll, generally the gear ratio really doesn't matter much. After 25 mph the car that continues to pull has a better power to weight ratio.

Last edited:
I'm not a bit surprised, my sister was smoking big block chevelle's back in the early 70's with her stock 340 duster

3rd and 4th gears are a thing of beauty even in my stock hemi.

Exactly.

Tire spinning from a slow roll in first gear is fine, but I really like that shove-you-in-the-seat feeling when you smoothly roll into the throttle in top gear.

Agreed: I found above 100MPH is where a Hemi really shines.

I'm not a bit surprised, my sister was smoking big block chevelle's back in the early 70's with her stock 340 duster

I did to in the 60s, street racing my stock 383 64 Sport Fury - not sure one ever got the best of me. But pretty sure they were mostly 325 horse cars. This thing is a 4-bolt block, rectangular-port aluminum head, big mechanical cam, headers - 427. This is a different animal.

I did to in the 60s, street racing my stock 383 64 Sport Fury - not sure one ever got the best of me. But pretty sure they were mostly 325 horse cars. This thing is a 4-bolt block, rectangular-port aluminum head, big mechanical cam, headers - 427. This is a different animal.

Yep.

My modified 383 GTS would best most 325 hp BBC cars, including Camaros and Novas. However, Ron's L78 Nova was indeed a completely diffirent animal. His Nova would run away and hide from my GTS. Other than headers, the Nova was an unmodified factory original car with 50,000 miles on it. He would best most on Gratiot Ave. And when he did occassionally lose, he would usually piss off the other guy saying, "yea, but mine is stock......."

Okay, so the hemi won. But there is more to the story, and details do matter.

I remembered too late I did have one exception. I had a friend in college from back east who had a blue 66 SS Chevelle 396/360 with 4.11 gears. That one would steadily start pulling on me in second gear and keep on edging away. He was a studious looking little guy but he was pretty sure with his shifting and he had to much gearing for my 3.23.

Last edited:
A hemi can never be matched. The more performance mods you add, the more power it makes then others. Don't see any Ferd's or Cheby's going over 330 MPH in the quarter.
As I rag on my Chevy buddies. What is all the mods you Chevy guys make? Bigger bores, bigger stroke, shaft mount rockers, external oil pumps. All stock on a BBM. LOL.

330 mph is in 320 feet less than a quarter.

Found out the guy with the 427 Chevelle is running a 3.08 rear with the Tremec. Not sure which set of gears in the transmission but in general they do have a lower first than the 4-speeds back then. My Hemi friend said our mechanic Chevelle friend was pretty impressed by the Hemi pulling him.

He went on a road trip with a HS buddy of his who is a shop owner, mechanic and sometimes racer to a nearby car show. He drove his Hemi and his friend took his 67 427 Chevelle which is pretty well built with aluminum heads, headers, 4 bolt block, good sized solid lifter cam and a tremec 5-speed. The Hemi is stock except from a hydraulic roller cam and MSD distributor. He said the roads were empty so they pulled up side-to-side several times to have a go at it and the Hemi pulled the built 427 every time, not by a huge amount but a car length or so. Only problem was his speedometer broke at 120 mph. Knowing how well that Chevelle is built and sometimes raced I was a little surprised his basically stock Hemi took him.

"Our world is not divided by Race, Color, Gender or Religion. Our world is divided into wise people and fools. And fools divide themselves by Race, Color, Gender or Religion.
Nelson Mandela."

Love that quote and sadly so true.

He went on a road trip with a HS buddy of his who is a shop owner, mechanic and sometimes racer to a nearby car show. He drove his Hemi and his friend took his 67 427 Chevelle which is pretty well built with aluminum heads, headers, 4 bolt block, good sized solid lifter cam and a tremec 5-speed. The Hemi is stock except from a hydraulic roller cam and MSD distributor. He said the roads were empty so they pulled up side-to-side several times to have a go at it and the Hemi pulled the built 427 every time, not by a huge amount but a car length or so. Only problem was his speedometer broke at 120 mph. Knowing how well that Chevelle is built and sometimes raced I was a little surprised his basically stock Hemi took him.

FB_IMG_1584600898780.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back