• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spare tire J bolt

hemlock

Local time
4:02 PM
Reaction score
The original spare tire hold down bolt/stud is long gone from my car and I'm trying to replace it. I bought one that was supposed to be correct, but now that I have it, I'm not so sure. Does anyone have a picture of the correct J bolt for a 65 hardtop? Attached are pictures of the one I bought that I'm questioning.

IMG_0894.JPG IMG_0895.JPG

I can't answer if it's correct or not, but it's 20 questions time.
Do you have the wingnut for it?
Does it look like it fit's?
Does it fit?
Who'd you buy it from?
Have you tried to see if it works/fits, and holds the tire?
What makes you think it's the wrong one?
I just hope your not one of the ****'s that want a correct date stamped spare tire hold down?
I say, If it works good, use it! Good Luck

I can't answer if it's correct or not, but it's 20 questions time.
Do you have the wingnut for it?
Does it look like it fit's?
Does it fit?
Who'd you buy it from?
Have you tried to see if it works/fits, and holds the tire?
What makes you think it's the wrong one?
I just hope your not one of the ****'s that want a correct date stamped spare tire hold down?
I say, If it works good, use it! Good Luck
I think it's the wrong one because the hook part of the bolt is 1 1/2" wide but the bracket in the trunk is 2 3/4" wide. Yeah, it would probably work but would dig in to the middle of the backside of the bracket instead of going all the way across it. Seller I bought it from advertised the part as for 62-65, since I've never had a 62 or 63 B body, I don't know if the spare tire on them mounts the same or not. Plus there are different mounting positions for convertibles and station wagons that I'm not familiar with.

My original '65 Coronet is in storage out back, in the trailer. As soon as it warms up some, I'll go back and take a look at it.
IMG_1889.JPG

Hey Hemlock, here's some pics for you, Happy New Year !
IMG_1984.JPG
IMG_1986.JPG
IMG_1989.JPG
IMG_1990.JPG
IMG_1991.JPG
IMG_1993.JPG
IMG_1996.JPG
IMG_1997.JPG

VANDAN, thank you very much, those pics are perfect. Exactly what I needed to see and that hold down bolt is the one I need to find. Thanks for taking the time to get the pictures, I really appreciate it

Just as a follow up on this thread, it turns out Joe Suchy sells a reproduction spare tire J bolt for anyone that's looking for one

Auto Transport Service
Back