• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spark Issues/Super Bee

RJ WM23

Local time
2:36 PM
Reaction score
Hello all, Ive got a 69' Superbee that I picked up over the weekend, It has a 451 thats been converted to electronic ignition with an ECU and what not, Ive been trying to get it to run but Im getting no spark out of my coil, the ECU, cap, rotor, pick-up, and harness is all new, Ive ordered a new reluctor wheel as well but if that doesn't fix it Im not sure where else to turn. Also, I get a nice spark when I turn the key from the run to the off position, whats with that? The Coil has 12v to the positive. Thanks. -RJ

Test the voltage at the coil when cranking. Reluctor will do nothing to help your problem.

Like stated , coil has 12 volts in the cranking position ? Or just when the key is released back to the run position

I had a bad ignition switch on one car that did this

Another had a corroded , melted connection at the bulkhead connector

Verify a good ground on your ECU Ignition Module also

Check the reluctor to pick-up coil gap.
Otherwise I hate to say it but usually a bad ECU.
(They all seem to suck these days...)

Well I feel stupid, replacing parts without checking quality before hand, the brand new pick up coil I bought had a broken wire right at the pick up, I was able to get a replacement same day, she fired right up and were all good. Thanks for your help

Auto Transport Service
Back