• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spark Plug Removal

Kobrak

Local time
1:49 AM
Reaction score
So I had a chance to start on the car last night to prep for first start in over 20 years. 1972 Charger with the 440 HP. I did manage to get all the plugs out to start the soak. I really struggled getting these darn plugs out!!! I need any tips or tricks you use to do the plug removal. Is there a special tool I should have to ease the process? I mean I ended up under the car to get at two of them on the drinker side of the car. Heck of a deal. Used an open end wrench and just a lot of 4 letter words. I was thinking I might need some sort of flex extension? I mean holy hell man!

The four letter words actually help alot! They give you that extra burst of energy just before
the wrench slips off and you rip the skin off of the back of your hand! Of course, changing
plugs every twenty years is a little excessive. It's all downhill from here.

Whether it's manifolds or headers, having the correct tools is the most important thing in performing a task. The circumstance will dictate what exactly you need to do the job. I can remove the plugs in my 440 with Hooker headers in 10 minutes with the combination of straight extension, flex-joint, and box-end wrench.

The car has the original exhaust manifolds on it. I guess the flex extension is the most important tool that I didn't have.

Well you got them out, they're hard to get at. Anti seize before putting them in. Buy a Hemi no worries except if you have PB's, just number 7 and a boat load of money!

Always plan on every job being twice as hard as you think it will be on these cars. Be patient and think it out as you go. Go buy the tools that you discover that you will need. Once you get everything going your way, it is rewarding!! Don't give up. Man built it, man can fix it!

A spark plug socket and box end wrench as noted plus a ratchet and extensions is all it takes.

Main thing is to make sure you start them by hand and feel them thread in without crossing the threads. Turn them in several turns before using a socket. Make sure you're using a spark plug socket with the rubber insert so you don't crack the porcelain. Using a boxed end wrench just watch what you're doing.

This is a good aid for the tight to get back in plugs. A piece of 1/2" hose helps to turn them in when fat fingers are too much.
20231013_131924.jpg

I purchased these. They are pricey for what they are, but have made spark plug changes a snap on my 440 with headers.

Powerhouse Products POW301150 Powerhouse Products Spark Plug Sockets | Summit Racing
ksurfer2, I noticed the enclosed link it states 5/8. I think the plugs are 13/16th. I'm thinking I need the POW301155?

Powerhouse Products Spark Plug Sockets POW301155

Spark Plug Sockets, Stainless Steel, Black Anodized, 13/16 in. Hex, 5/8 in. Wrench Drive, Kit

Part Number: POW-POW301155

Main thing is to make sure you start them by hand and feel them thread in without crossing the threads. Turn them in several turns before using a socket. Make sure you're using a spark plug socket with the rubber insert so you don't crack the porcelain. Using a boxed end wrench just watch what you're doing.

This is a good aid for the tight to get back in plugs. A piece of 1/2" hose helps to turn them in when fat fingers are too much.
View attachment 1539339
BINGO< Great idea!

Several good tips here, use them all. Cold engine is first and foremost, it's been years since I dealt with a big block with manifolds but it seems to me a few of the plugs are a lot easier from the bottom. I used to have the car up on jackstands and cold, did what I could from the bottom then dropped it to finish them off. A flex head ratchet helps, a few different extensions and a box end wrench all come into play.

The only way I change plugs in mine is from underneath, with the exception being #1.

Some of the stuff I use.
The shorty plug socket (w/o the rubber bushing) and box wrenches work pretty well for me. A 12 point deep socket can allow a bit of an angle for tighter plugs a 6 point won't get on. Careful though, too much angle and you can break the ceramic.
A 3/8" drive fine tooth flex head ratchet for easy ones. ..............
Maybe a 3/8" drive breaker bar, a 1/4" drive ratchet with 3/8" adapter and cheater.
1697218298245.png

How many tools does it take to change a... spark plug? haha Somewhere between 3 and 10 so far... I think that I use a 13/16" wrench, both ends, and a spark plug socket with the wrench on a couple of them... oh yeah a 3/8 ratchet too on #1. Takes the whole tool box.

Apologies if someone mentioned it, but does the 72 BB charger have a removable rubber splash shield on the P/S,? My 73 BB Plymouth does. I'm pretty sure that it has it for these types of things.

So I had a chance to start on the car last night to prep for first start in over 20 years. 1972 Charger with the 440 HP. I did manage to get all the plugs out to start the soak. I really struggled getting these darn plugs out!!! I need any tips or tricks you use to do the plug removal. Is there a special tool I should have to ease the process? I mean I ended up under the car to get at two of them on the drinker side of the car. Heck of a deal. Used an open end wrench and just a lot of 4 letter words. I was thinking I might need some sort of flex extension? I mean holy hell man!
Driver's side plugs are accessible from on top using a standard 13/16" spark plugs socket and a short extension....a swivel head ratchet may be helpful.......the passenger side plugs are best accessed from underneath the car (jacked up on safety stands) and a 13/16" box wrench or spark plug socket if you prefer. The passenger side shock tower and factory HD manifolds make it impossible for easy access. This is the way I've always done it with the GTX RS23V0A******.....least aggrivation.....just a thought........
BOB RENTON

You guys offered tons of great advice my only comment to offer up is make sure you use a fine tooth ratchet.. every little click is a benefit in the right spots. IMO

And I once again chuckle when I read some of the old wive's tales about ease of spark plug access on manifolds vs. headers.

Auto Transport Service
Back