• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spectra Premium fuel sending unit

440beep

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:22 AM
Reaction score
I'm installing a new Spectra tank sending unit for the new motor. Upgraded to the 3/8 sending unit along with 3/8 hard lines to the fuel pump. Here's some pictures prior to the install in case others want to see this unit. Unfortunately, its Made in Mexico. Took some pictures of the ohm readings with the float at full, half and empty. Per the FSM the ohm readings should be the following:

Empty stop = 73 ohms +- 12.0 ohms
Full stop = 9.6 ohms +- 1 ohm

IMG_4206.jpgIMG_4207.jpgIMG_4208.jpgIMG_4209.jpgIMG_4210.jpgIMG_4211.jpgIMG_4212.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Made in Mexico

IMG_4214.jpgIMG_4215.jpg

Looks good but isn't it all made there now ? LOL!!
Was it pricy ??

Forgot to mention I got it from Inline Tube for $89.00.

And I wonder what the lesser evil is: Made in China; or Made in Mexico?

Changed the ohm setting on the meter to get a better reading. Wonder if I need to tweak the stop tabs a lil more............

IMG_4217.jpgIMG_4218.jpgIMG_4219.jpg

Thanks, I was going to suggest that.

Forgot to mention I got it from Inline Tube for $89.00.

And I wonder what the lesser evil is: Made in China; or Made in Mexico?

Lesser evil=Mexico. We will be going to war with china in the future, china has our cities targeted with nuclear missiles, china has held and has killed or still holds prisoners from from korea and Vietnam.

Changed the ohm setting on the meter to get a better reading. Wonder if I need to tweak the stop tabs a lil more............

View attachment 167833View attachment 167834View attachment 167835

Nice looking unit Lee. Why don't you do a temporary connection to your gauge to see what the readings are before fitting the tank in the car? You will then see if any tweaks are necessary.
And my vote is for Mexico being the lesser evil....they gave us Taco's and Burrito's....China gave us Bird flu

I'm installing a new Spectra tank sending unit for the new motor. Upgraded to the 3/8 sending unit along with 3/8 hard lines to the fuel pump. Here's some pictures prior to the install in case others want to see this unit. Unfortunately, its Made in Mexico. Took some pictures of the ohm readings with the float at full, half and empty. Per the FSM the ohm readings should be the following:

Empty stop = 73 ohms +- 12.0 ohms
Full stop = 9.6 ohms +- 1 ohm

View attachment 167818View attachment 167819View attachment 167820View attachment 167821View attachment 167822View attachment 167823View attachment 167824

- - - Updated - - -

Made in Mexico

View attachment 167826View attachment 167827

I want to know if it reads half way close after you get it put in.

Great idea. Think I will do that once I get the car up on jackstands.

Nice looking unit Lee. Why don't you do a temporary connection to your gauge to see what the readings are before fitting the tank in the car? You will then see if any tweaks are necessary.
And my vote is for Mexico being the lesser evil....they gave us Taco's and Burrito's....China gave us Bird flu

Can someone educate me on what the meter is for? What kind of reading is it making? I've got to replace my sending unit in my gas tank so do I need to do that to?

Can someone educate me on what the meter is for? What kind of reading is it making? I've got to replace my sending unit in my gas tank so do I need to do that to?

Multimeter (ohms, amps, volts (AC/DC). The sending unit has a variable resistor. The meter measures resistance at the various float levels and sends that to the gauge which interprets it to fuel level for your eyes by moving the needle left and right on the fuel gauge.

So I went to install the new sending unit tonight and realized I had the wrong one once I was under the gas tank(DAMNIT!!!). I incorrectly got the unit with the return line as part of the sending unit, whereas the return line on the car goes directly into the tank, so I need a single 3/8 line sending unit.

Has anyone tried the sending units that Herb's Part sells? I noticed his have a brass float whereas the Spectre unit has some sort of plastic float. Wondering if I should try my luck with a Herb's sending unit instead of the Inline Tube one.

Oh yea, and I tried testing the new unit hooked to the gas gauge to see how it reads and I could only get it to read 3/4 full. :(

You could plug the return line and use the one you have. The plastic floats are not supposed to leak like the brass floats. I just changed my "new" sending unit the previous owner installed and found the brass float half full of gas. I checked the new brass float for bubbles under water pressure before using it.

So I was flipping through my YO catalog last night and browsing around in the "FUEL" section and noticed that the 1969 B body fuel tanks have two vent tubes. That got me thinking about my issue above. My '69 car was originally a 383 car so it shouldn't have had an original return line on it. Appears to me that the PO jerry rigged the 440 return line to one of the vent tubes on the tank and kept the original 5/16single outlet sending unit (which it is based on the part#).

With my new 3/8 sending unit I can correctly hook up the return line to the sending unit and block off that one vent tube, or do I figure out how to correctly install the missing vent tubing. Question: am I shooting myself in the foot by blocking off the one vent tube? Based on reading other posts here it doesn't appear so. I also have a non-vented gas cap if that matters.

UPDATE: Since I only need the candy cane vent tube, I guess I could get some small brass tubing and bend my own vent tube.

Auto Transport Service
Back