• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedometer Drive help

Anderson

Local time
11:30 AM
Reaction score
Hey y'all

I've got a '79 B200 with a 360 and a 727, van has cruise control, but I'm not really interested in keeping it. I already pulled the unit and the cable and I have a cable for a non-cruise B200, but the ends are different.

There's a short cable from the speedo drive gear to the cruise unit, then a longer one from the unit to the speedometer. I was hoping to just remove it, and run a cable from trans to speedo but looking at it, both ends of the new cable are different.

The speedometer drive gear at the transmission has internal threads, and the cable I got for a non cruise car also has internal threads at the transmission end. also a different style clip at the speedometer end. New cable has a plastic clip and the old has a tapered plastic piece with ridges that are held by a metal clip off of the back of the speedometer.

Am I missing something? Do I need to use a speedometer drive gear and a speedometer from a non-cruise van? I don't want a speedometer THAT bad. I was just hoping to de-clutter and have a somewhat functional speedometer.

I'm new to the Mopar world, and the automatic world so I hope it's not a dumb question.

Thank you,
AJ

Speedometer head is the same. You need a cable with the right ends. If you cant find one there are places that make them.

ATP Y877 or PIONEER CA3052 Is what should work.

That's what I thought too, but this is what I have at the transmission end,

20221207_215506130_iOS.jpg

and this at the speedometer end

20221207_215512906_iOS.jpg

The metal clip on the back of the speedo catches the grooves there instead of the clip style on the new cable like the ones given above

On the lower end you have something screwed on to it. What does the attachment point look like at the transmission? Pictures. Might be from a reduction box. This cable should work. Are you sure on the year? PIONEER CA3056

I hadn't even thought of that, but it's a whole different type of speedo drive then I am used to. When I get to work on it again (probably next week) I'll see if I can get that little piece out of the bottom of the old cable. In the meantime here is a quick picture of what I've got at the transmission end

20221208_205114180_iOS.jpg

Thank you again. If that piece just came out with the old cable then I'd think I should be able to remove it, screw it back in the box pictured above and get that CA3056 and I should be set.

I hadn't even thought of that, but it's a whole different type of speedo drive then I am used to. When I get to work on it again (probably next week) I'll see if I can get that little piece out of the bottom of the old cable. In the meantime here is a quick picture of what I've got at the transmission end

View attachment 1384443

Thank you again. If that piece just came out with the old cable then I'd think I should be able to remove it, screw it back in the box pictured above and get that CA3056 and I should be set.
That is a speedometer gear reduction box. Put some grease in the box and put the threaded part back into it. If you run it with the wheels off the ground putting it in gear it should be spinning . If so you are good there. The CA3056 should work.

Auto Transport Service
Back