• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedometer Pinion Removal

Dean Prevolos

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:14 PM
Reaction score
I need to transfer a speedometer pinion from one A833 trans to another. I removed the bolt and retainer. The trans is out of the car and I have on the bench. The service manual says to remove the pinion with the cable attached to it and work it out. Well my cable is in the car. THe pinion is firmly in the trans for obvious reasons.

Any suggestions on removing it with damaging the case or the pinion face?
speedometer pinion.JPG

Take the bolt out of the retainer and remove the retainer. And it should come out pretty easy. If not take a screw driver and a hammer put it in one of the notches and tap it lightly to break it free.

There is just an o-ring that on the housing that makes it a snug fit. If it is stuck, just gently wiggle it out with a flat blade screw driver.

If you can measure thread size a nut from hardware store. Fine thread I would say. That is if wiggling it with small rod in drive hole doesn't work.

Yes tap on a slot with a screwdriver to rotate it. When the o ring breaks loose it comes out easily. You can’t really grab it with pliers, it will gouge up the threads and ruin it.

Yes tap on a slot with a screwdriver to rotate it. When the o ring breaks loose it comes out easily. You can’t really grab it with pliers, it will gouge up the threads and ruin it.

i would just use pliers on the housing to help pull the housing out after turning it with the screwdriver. I would grab below the threads.

Auto Transport Service
Back