• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sport Fury Golden Commandos

You forgot the 62 Dodge/Plymouth 383 2x4 343 HP.
I don't believe I forgot them, if you read my post I said that 383's were rare in 62 and were available only through the fleet division. The Fleet Division was the same as Chevrolet's Copo. (Central office production order). 383's we're not an advertised option on 62's, at least not on Plymouth. I know this as I was a C-P dealer then. Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure about this, perhaps someone else can add something. Some years ago I had a '62 Sport Fury factory Golden Commando car. The emblems on the front fenders were: "Sport Fury Golden Commando". However, I think the one on the deck lid simply said "Sport Fury", no Golden Commando. ??

My 62 is a 361. It has the Golden Commando Power on all three emblems, fenders and deck lid.

My 62 Sport Fury has them, it is a 361/4bbl. And it is all original. I know because my grandfather bought it in 62 from local Dodge dealer.

So to add to the confusion. If a 62 Sport Fury Golden Commando had a 383/4 would a 62 (Not Sport) Fury Golden Lion have a 361/4?
BBB354AD-F9CE-4C8A-A9F4-7CB2FD2F71C3.jpeg

Last edited:
So to add to the confusion. If a 62 Sport Fury Golden Commando had a 383/4 would a 62 (Not Sport) Fury Golden Lion have a 361/4?
View attachment 1171913

Well the '62 Dodge Polara 500 came standard with a HP 361 4bll. dual exhaust. So maybe it could.

Golden Commando and the Red Lion was a Plymouth thing and Dodge really didn't have such a campaign.

I thought the Golden Lion was a '50s early '60 badge. I haven't seen Red Lion on a '62 B body before.

Last edited:
My 63 Sport Fury has "COMMANDO 361" emblem. A 361/4 original car.

The fastest car in high school was a 63 Sports Fury 383 Golden Commando 4-speed. The second fastest was my 65 Chevelle 327 4-speed convertible. I would always piss him off when we raced because he could only beat me by 1/2 a car. I could get up to the middle of his door but that’s it.

Well the '62 Dodge Polara 500 came standard with a HP 361 4bll. dual exhaust. So maybe it could.

Golden Commando and the Red Lion was a Plymouth thing and Dodge really didn't have such a campaign.

I thought the Golden Lion was a '50s early '60 badge. I haven't seen Red Lion on a '62 B body before.
In the A body line Dodge started with the "Charger 273" name in 65-67. I don't believe they used the Charger name anywhere else.

I know Darts had the Charger 225 air cleaner in 66. Out 66 Coronet was at the dealer for warranty work so they gave us a loaded 66 Dart to drive. The label was on it.

Don’t think you could get a 4 speed in a Fury until 64
I believe 63 was the first year that you could get a 4 speed but they were all T10s. In 64’ Chrysler came out with their own 833.

Auto Transport Service
Back