• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SST perfectfit 5 speed conversion project

440SportSatellite

Local time
4:03 AM
Reaction score
So I decided to go for it and convert my Sport Satellite from the 727 auto to a TKO600 5-speed. I don't like to drive it very far on the interstate the way it is now, 3500RPM at 65mph gets old pretty quick and having to stay in the slow lane just sucks all around. I don't race it, although I may eventually run it down the 1/4 mile track a few times just for fun, I just like to cruise and do a burnout every once in awhile, so a lot of the issues people have with the TKO units just don't concern me. I still went with their upgrade on the TKO with carbon fiber blocker rings and bronze shift fork pads though. I decided to post a review thread here to let everyone know my experiences with Silver Sport Transmissions and their perfectfit kit. Just placed my order last night, so I'll be updating this thread over the next few months as things progress. I'm also going to be replacing the hedman headers and 2 1/4" exhaust on the car right now with a set of TTI 1 7/8" headers and 2 1/2 exhaust. Planning on doing the steering box as well while the headers and trans are out of the car but I haven't decided whether I'm going with a firm feel stage 2 box or with the borgeson 14:1 box. I'll need to make a decision on that in the next couple of weeks.
If you're interested in knowing the back story on my car and seeing some pictures my welcome wagon post is here:
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...47606-1969-Sport-Satellite-with-440-big-block
I considered just updating that post with all of this stuff but figured I should start a thread over here instead.
So far I can say that SST has great customer service, Jeff went through everything with me over the phone a couple of times to make sure I got all the right parts. It wasn't cheap, however I don't think I could have saved too much sourcing everything separately on my own. Maybe if I spent a lot of time searching for deals but I don't have the time or patience for all that just to save a couple hundred dollars. This way I know I have everything I need and they'll stand behind all of their products if I have an issue.
I'm really excited about this as I always wanted a manual transmission anyway, can't wait to get it all together and shift some gears. :headbang: I'll update with pics and more info when everything arrives.

Can't wait to hear the review, I liked evertything about the TKO 600 except the sluggish shifting so it will be interesting to see how much the upgrades help. Good luck

I'm in sign me up. If Jamie doesn't get his shift together at Passon I'm doing the same and replacing the 4 speed.

I am watching.. I am going to make a decision this week and Silver Sport sounds like the best option.

I'm in. How long til it is delivered? TKO owner here. Passon takes too long to deliver. Loafing along at 2150rpm's @ 72 mph is sweet.

I recommend the Firm Feel Stage 2.

Apologies for not updating this thread sooner. SST delivered very quickly, they had everything in stock and got it all shipped out to me within a day or so of my order, even though I told them there was no rush as the install wouldn't be happening for a month or two. I did have some issues with my shipment however. They sent the wrong sheet metal for the tunnel, I think I got sheet metal for a corvette or something. They also sent me someone else's information packet, so I got install instructions for a mustang. They have awesome customer service however and Jeff shipped out the correct sheet metal immediately, as well as emailing and sending me hard copies of all the information I hadn't received. Unfortunately my friend who's helping me out with the install hasn't had space in his garage to work on it yet, talked to him the other day and he says next week now. Finally! I need to get all these parts out of my living room so I can put the coffee table back, lol.
I went with the borgeson steering box btw, looks like a really nice unit, guess I'll see once it's in the car.
20160309_183714.jpg

Ahhhhh nothing better than a huge pile of car parts!

Got the same boxes last week and no, I do not have room in my garage right now for it either..

Thought I'd post a couple of pictures. Things are moving along and everything should be finished up by next weekend hopefully. Got the tunnel cut and new sheet metal welded in. Transmission test fitted, it's very tight but it looks like the template and sheet metal SST provided was all pretty close to spot on and everything should fit and line up right. The rod SST provided for the clutch pedal was a little bit too short and wouldn't allow the pedal to sit all the way up but they took care of it right away and are sending a longer rod with the driveshaft this coming week at no charge.
The borgeson steering box didn't want to line up right and we had to shim one side of it up to get the steering to move freely, seemed like the tab they welded on to bolt up to the K member was maybe just a hair off, not a major issue though.

20160427_174803.jpg

20160427_164355.jpg

20160427_172825.jpg

Did you have any issues with the Brake pedal and booster or Master Cyl? How hard was the Clutch set-up?

Did you have any issues with the Brake pedal and booster or Master Cyl? How hard was the Clutch set-up?
Just saw your post for some reason. Think I need to make some adjustments to my alert settings, I had turned a bunch of them off because I was getting alerts constantly.
No problems at all with installing the pedals and getting the brake pedal set right. Getting the clutch set up right was something of a bitch though. I went with a hydraulic clutch and it was a real pain getting all the air bled out of the throwout bearing and slave cylinder. It's all working great now though. We just got everything right Friday and I've been test driving it all weekend. Nice easy pedal feel with the clutch now, glad I went with the hydraulic even if it was a bit of a pain.

Did you document the hydraulic set up? Where did you mount, brand, etc?

The car looks great btw and I'm glad you kept it a Sport Satellite ... really cool

Just saw your post for some reason. Think I need to make some adjustments to my alert settings, I had turned a bunch of them off because I was getting alerts constantly.
No problems at all with installing the pedals and getting the brake pedal set right. Getting the clutch set up right was something of a bitch though. I went with a hydraulic clutch and it was a real pain getting all the air bled out of the throwout bearing and slave cylinder. It's all working great now though. We just got everything right Friday and I've been test driving it all weekend. Nice easy pedal feel with the clutch now, glad I went with the hydraulic even if it was a bit of a pain.
I installed a TKO 600 before eventually putting the T56 in, for the life of me I could not understand why they put the bleeder where they did.... idiotic! My kit was from Keisler and had the bleeder in the hose lower than the slave which makes no sense at all making bleeding it a nightmare. The T56 has the bleeder on the top side of the slave itself so no problems at all.

If you ever have to replace it I'd see if anybody offers a better option for bleeding.

Glad to see your up and running, now go enjoy that extra gear some more.:thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back