• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stall converter

KB9GIB

Local time
3:05 AM
Reaction score
Hi from southern Illinois, This winter I’m going to pull my motor & transmission and redo my engine bay. I have a com-cam 509 lift. can’t remember the other spec on it. I’m running a 3500 stall. I like to do away with the stall. can I go to a factory torque converter?Without changing the cam? Thanks for any advice.

695E5124-7F78-4730-9D05-09B49B8A2059.jpeg

Well...the .509 (in my experience) always did better with some stall. So, if you're set on using a stock converter, a cam change would definitely be worth considering IMO for "enjoyability" purposes. Or, you could getcha a "tight" higher-stall unit like a 9.5 from PTC/Dynamic/etc and keep the cam (since they new ones can be tough to get these days..)...they can set you up with a converter that will flash up to the cam's power band in an instant without feeling loose and sloppy on the street like the converters of old. Just my 2¢!! Good luck. Looks like a fun project.

I think you should explain why you don't want the 3500 Stall. ?? Unless this is an all out race engine, you should be able to find a converter that works great in all street applications.

Don't know the specs on the engine but, dropping down to a stock converter could possibly cause you a lot of headache. You are asking if you should switch cam, why not switch converter to one that is properly matched to your setup. ??? Your obviously not happy with some part of your combination, but if you don't tell us what that is , how do you expect someone to give a good answer?

Is the converter simply to loose, and it flashes way to easy on the street??

Match the convertor with your set up and rear axle ratio. I'd put the 509 in my 69.

Auto Transport Service
Back