• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter Relay Wiring

Thanks steve340. Yeah I think yours is different. 1968 had the single terminal switch. In 1969 they went to the 3-prong switch, so maybe whatever the adjustment was, isn't applicable with the 3-prong switch. Mine is a 1972 and has the 3-prong switch. I can't find any adjustment procedure in the 1972 FSM. It does mention making sure the operating cam in the trans is centered in the opening for the switch. But it doesn't tell you anywhere I can find, what to do if it's not. Either the switch is bad or the cam is not hitting it correctly, you're right there. If there is an adjustment for the cam, I would guess I'd have to pull the pan and do it inside the trans. I'm not that experienced with automatics.

Basically same as 68 info.
Remove the switch and check the switch actuating lumps are in the switch hole when the transmission is in park or neutral.
I guess if they are not something has "slipped" in the trans.
If the lumps are in the right place adjust the **** linkage.
I always adjust shift linkage with the transmission/shifter in the DRIVE position.
I got told to do this by a transmission guy and it has always worked well.

Auto Transport Service
Back