• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

starting on my 65 fender tag decoding help

Rebelrouser

Local time
3:13 PM
Reaction score
Pushed my 65 coronet into the shop to start work this week. Are there any decoding experts on the forum? I will post a picture hope it is clear enough. Best I can tell it is a 1965 440 convertible V-8 light turquoise with a bench seat. Can you tell what kind of V-8 it had? any other info?

IMG210501-042846F.JPG

1965.JPG

I'm asking a sincere question. Do you commonly find the screws for the fender tags unpainted?

I'm asking a sincere question. Do you commonly find the screws for the fender tags unpainted?

Different plants handled tags differently in different years. Giving a blanket answer will likely lead to wrong info.

That appears to be a Lynch Road built car. Lynch Road did handle their tags different than other plants meaning, yes, it's possible the tag was unpainted. Does the VIN start W351?

There are HUGE differences in plants and coding between 62-65. There's enough right, and wrong, in that document as to thoroughly confuse any newby as to be unproductive. That document is best left to someone that understands that era of tag and what does, and doesn't apply to a tag in front of them.

I get it, none I've found have been totally comprehensive, but just by looking at his tag and that document I linked:

AB DE N Q V
30 55 0 1 3 = 273, Auto, Heater w/ Def., Power top, AM Radio, Backup lights

BDY
W35 = 2dr. convertible (not in the doc, found elsewhere)

TRM
H4Q = Turquoise vinyl

PAINT
JJ3L = Turquoise upper body/roof, Turquoise body, Side Sweep, Dark turquoise side sweep

Different plants handled tags differently in different years. Giving a blanket answer will likely lead to wrong info.

That appears to be a Lynch Road built car. Lynch Road did handle their tags different than other plants meaning, yes, it's possible the tag was unpainted. Does the VIN start W351?
Yes it is W351

I get it, none I've found have been totally comprehensive, but just by looking at his tag and that document I linked:

AB DE N Q V
30 55 0 1 3 = 273, Auto, Heater w/ Def., Power top, AM Radio, Backup lights

BDY
W35 = 2dr. convertible (not in the doc, found elsewhere)

TRM
H4Q = Turquoise vinyl

PAINT
JJ3L = Turquoise upper body/roof, Turquoise body, Side Sweep, Dark turquoise side sweep
Thanks that is the info I needed

I'll take a look. I also believe that different locations may place the tags on different areas of the car. I have two sets of fenders and two sets of inner fenders (one set in the car and one set removed from another), it may take a while to check them. However, it's a Plymouth.

Auto Transport Service
Back