• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

State of the Hobby

JMO, if the next generations can’t change a flat tire without calling AAA how can they maintain a vintage car.
Wether it’s poverty caps with date code wheels or 24fo’s.
Auto shop is no longer taught in high school.
One of my favorite movie scenes best describes my opinion on this. The hobby has a shelf life.
Just a matter when it expires?

I think the current state is pretty good, here’s why…

Information: A wealth of information and tribal knowledge is more available than ever thanks to the internet. Networking opportunities are endless.

Parts: The aftermarket has really stepped up by reproducing sheet metal, hard parts and trim that were difficult if not impossible to find. As a result, cars that were previously considered too far gone are able to be restored.

The future means that there will be plenty of musclecar deals in the next 20 to 25 years when most of us are pushing up daisies and our kids fire sale them.
X2, I plan on wearing mine out and give the rest away.........

Information: A wealth of information and tribal knowledge is more available than ever thanks to the internet. Networking opportunities are endless.

Parts: The aftermarket has really stepped up by reproducing sheet metal, hard parts and trim that were difficult if not impossible to find. As a result, cars that were previously considered too far gone are able to be restored.

The caveat on repo parts.
They are currently being sourced from Taiwan with all the associated logistic problems and geopolitical risk.
As witnessed by the current shortages.
I would suggest to suppliers that they strongly consider moving manufacturing to Mexico to help alleviate that.
As a plus , antique car custom work IS already very active Mexico.
This has been shown in other threads.
Taiwan?
Moving repo to Mexico would kill multiple birds.
(I realize doing repo in America would be problematical if not out of the question,)

I'm guessing you might have hunted for '69 GTX trim in the 1990s? My GTX at the time kept all its pitted original stuff because new would have cost more than I paid for the car in 1991.

I'm guessing you might have hunted for '69 GTX trim in the 1990s? My GTX at the time kept all its pitted original stuff because new would have cost more than I paid for the car in 1991.

I needed a drivers door molding and other one year only trim pieces. I spent countless hours scouring swap meets looking for them.

Auto Transport Service
Back