• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steel Crank - 1972 440

Status
Not open for further replies.

stappy

Local time
4:20 PM
Reaction score
I am looking for a steel crank for my 1972 440 engine. My crank showed to be cracked in the magnaflux machine :eusa_boohoo: .

Stappy

So your looking for a forged crank I assume? All cranks are steel.

I beg to differ....cast cranks are iron a completely different compound

Yup lol....but both are metal :D right? I probably have one but shipping is going to be expensive @ around 80 lbs....

Stappy where are you at in michigan?

I have a forged 440 crank from a 72 cast 440...but it includes the rest of the engine for $400. I'm 25 miles SW of Chicago if interested. Bob

This guy has one but again, shipping will kill ya. Have you tried a search on Craigslist in your area?

I have one too, but again, it's the shipping.

I have one that is std. and i will take $75.00 for it plus shippind. It will need to be polished, maybe turned to 10/10. but it's good.

There seems to be a big misperception about "steel" cranks here, and RR is right. None of the Chrysler crankshafts (that we pursue) were ever made from cast iron. There were only two "processes" for manufacturing steel cranks; one was from steel bar stock, which was hammered (called roll forging) into shape, and the other was cast (steel melted down and then poured into a mold) from ductile steel.

Forgings are heavier and tend to be more brittle, while a casting is lighter and can flex a little under stress without breaking (considered advantageous by many engine builders). While the forged cranks are more popular, I've got many friends that run some very hot street/strip cars (@ 7000 rpm) for years - some over 10 years now - without incident. The casting will rev quicker (lighter bob weight) and take nearly as much abuse as a forging - unless you're on the other side of 600 hp, regularly, the cast will work fine.

Cast iron cranks only recently became popular as auto mfg's keep looking for cheaper ways to build cars. Many of the econoboxes nowadays (Ford Fucus is a prime example) are starting to use cast iron cranks, but only because of the extremely low loads place on them.

I hope this helps. If you're going street/strip, with good oiling, the cast steel cranks can take a lot of abuse. If you're drag racing only with continuous high revs; multi-carbs; rollerized assy; and/or (big) power adders, then go with a forging.

Southernman

I've got a crank for you. Should just need polishing, I'm just west of Chicago near Brookfield Zoo if you are interested PM me. We can make a reasonable deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back