• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steel Wheel Advice?

I've had 3 sets of torque thrust and they are my favorite. One piece machined, easy balance. I think the 15x7 (still American made) with a 225x70 tire is about as good as it gets for a nice driving b-body.
I hope the 15x7s are still American made.
I have some newer TTs, 15x10 one piece, with "made in China" cast right into em.

Both wheel combos

Screenshot_20230930_130447_Gallery.jpg

20221228_105506.jpg

That thing looks great! I love the green cars. Good to know the TTs are so good.
Greens are growing on me with age. I used to hate green. I am liking it more and more on certain cars. I like the darker green on my New Yorker.

20230527_111409.jpg

Greens are growing on me with age. I used to hate green. I am liking it more and more on certain cars. I like the darker green on my New Yorker.

View attachment 1614876
There's nothing better than a triple green muscle car! Your New Yorker is one stylin machine, nice! I'm in my mid 30s and have been lucky enough to score this green Pontiac Tempest that I daily drive quite a bit. I nearly started painting my 70 Bee project green, but since it still has its fender tag I am keeping it the original plum crazy.

20221123_134024.jpg

There's nothing better than a triple green muscle car! Your New Yorker is one stylin machine, nice! I'm in my mid 30s and have been lucky enough to score this green Pontiac Tempest that I daily drive quite a bit. I nearly started painting my 70 Bee project green, but since it still has its fender tag I am keeping it the original plum crazy.

View attachment 1614891
My bro-in-law has a triple british racing green metallic 69 Chevelle. It is a beautiful color of green.

Multiple shades of green were very popular in that era. I took the r/t out yesterday to get some fresh gas and a young lady with a new challenger r/t pulled next to me to get gas. She was all over that green with red stripe tires and had to get a picture. Said she'd never seen color like that before. Colors on cars today are very boring

i have run into many motorcycle wheels that are out of balance without the tire on . factory harley or aftermarket. if i get a tirechange in and notice excessive wheel weights on i’ll spin on balancer after dismounting old tire to see what i can expect after the new tire goes is . at that time i check for round or bent wheels. it’s amazing how out of balance many rims are …..

i have run into many motorcycle wheels that are out of balance without the tire on . factory harley or aftermarket. if i get a tirechange in and notice excessive wheel weights on i’ll spin on balancer after dismounting old tire to see what i can expect after the new tire goes is . at that time i check for round or bent wheels. it’s amazing how out of balance many rims are …..
i think one of the problems with cokers is they don't have the red dot/yellow dot for orientation. i think this could lead to a crap shoot on balancing. a one piece wheel just has to be better for balance and being concentric.

i think one of the problems with cokers is they don't have the red dot/yellow dot for orientation. i think this could lead to a crap shoot on balancing. a one piece wheel just has to be better for balance and being concentric.
not sure on the coker but i know from friends who work at dunlop here they spin every motor cycle tire they build , and mark it w a balance dot . sure makes a difference. not sure if the car/truck tires receive the same ….

I hope the 15x7s are still American made.
I have some newer TTs, 15x10 one piece, with "made in China" cast right into em.
i bought some 15x7 TTO's for the front of my charger last summer, and the chinesium was marked "made in china".........

i bought some 15x7 TTO's for the front of my charger last summer, and the chinesium was marked "made in china".........
I bought a 15x7 from summit last year around this time and it's cast USA. It's not TTO but the regular gray center 105 wheel.

I bought a 15x7 from summit last year around this time and it's cast USA. It's not TTO but the regular gray center 105 wheel.
Interesting. My 15x10 gray center 5 on 5 VN105 are proudly "Made in China".
And whatever tires they had on em (I bought em used) had a BUNCH of stick on weight on em.

OP's spin balancer may have been out of calibration.

This may have been brought up,
As a kid working in a DX station in the 70s. I was shown that if you have a good wheel/tire combo that is hard to balance or taking more weight than seems right.
You break the tire down and rotate it 90 or 180 degrees and balance again.
Most of the time that would solve the problem.

That's why they have red dots on them now.

I too have gone back and forth between factory sport or rallye wheels, aftermarket wheels and steels with dog dish.
The steel wheels end up going on for road trips (3-4000 miles) for 4 same size tires, and a taller tire that's quiet.
The 15x7 late model wheel has an odd backwards trough in the center which I find distracting. The summit wheels come in wider widths which is nice, but are $175 each and prone for runout issues.
I have a set of perfect 15x6.5 H clone wheels for sale on here. There was some debate on value, but factory wheels always get my vote over reproduction @$175 each

Auto Transport Service
Back