• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steel Wheel Advice?

needacheaperhob

Local time
7:33 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hoping ro get some advice as I'd like to switch out the 14" American Racing wheels currently on my 69 Roadrunner for 15" steel wheels and dog dish hubcaps.

I plan on putting red line tires on them.

I've heard some of the steel wheels arent the best quality.

Can anyone recommend a brand?
What is the min/max backspacing I can go with? (everything is stock on the car).

I love the A12 wheel look but not looking to create a clone, no "H" wheels necessary, just a good quality wheel.

Thank you

4747198a-db2c-459f-b85b-1e33ee2a34a3-_1_-1-1.jpg

15x8 with 4.5" backspacing on the rear and 15x7 with 4" backspacing on the front would work fine. Depending on what tire sizes you are going with of course.

I used the Wheel Vintiques from Summit Racing on my Charger as well... No complaints. 15x7 all around with 4.25" BS 255/60/15 Redlines on all 4 corners

IMG_6996.JPG

I used the Wheel Vintiques from Summit Racing on my Charger as well... No complaints. 15x7 all around with 4.25" BS 255/60/15 Redlines on all 4 corners

View attachment 1597583
I like how your car looks with the 255’s all the way around. I tried it with police wheels on my Coronet and thought it looked like a 4x4. Maybe I should have lowered it some in front.
OP I found some 15x7s on a 85’ 5th Ave. they should work for anything but a 295.

I've had good luck with factory 15" junkyard steel wheels up front and replicas that are 15"x8" in the back (Summit Racing?) I'm sure others have them. Factory dog dish hubcaps fit perfectly. I like them

View attachment 1597583
Looks great and nice color match! We'll check out those Vintiques when we take in this new Charger project. The new rotors and alloy ion wheels of the F150 Ranger arrived so we can clear a spot for the Charger in the garage this weekend.

I bought my Wheel Vintiques from Summit, 15x7 front and 15x10 rear…

IMG_4551.jpeg

In before the “dork dish” comments

I have 15x6 wheel vintiques with 225x15 Coker redlines. When I first bought them I was rather giddy about the combo. A few years down the road and realize how sub par the quality is for both. A lot of money for something that that has become undrivable.

I have 15x6 wheel vintiques with 225x15 Coker redlines. When I first bought them I was rather giddy about the combo. A few years down the road and realize how sub par the quality is for both. A lot of money for something that that has become undrivable.
So what happened? Bolt holes elongated?

So what happened? Bolt holes elongated?
No bolt hole problems I know of. Pretty sure one wheel isn't welded straight. This is my current project to try and remedy this. I can't drive the car over 50mph it shakes so bad. I did take them off and put some 15x7 torque thrust with new 225x70 radials. Drives super with the torque thrust.

I had a local place near me called Weld Craft widen some old factory 15×6 wheels for me to 15x10's. I love the dog dish look on some cars, but not all. Same wheels and tires on my Coronet R/T and Charger R/T S.E. I liked them on my Coronet, but not on my Charger. They didn't suit the Charger for the poverty look being a loaded R/T S.E.
I now have them on my Roached Runner (repainted) for the "dork dish" look.

Picture.jpg

70RTSE1.jpg

20210530_123448.jpg

Last edited:

Find a tire shop that offers road force balancing. Among other things they can check lateral runout and concentricity. Coker tires are notorious for balance and out of round issues. The tire shop I deal with refuses to work with Coker tires anymore because of the issues you’re describing…

Find a tire shop that offers road force balancing. Among other things they can check lateral runout and concentricity. Coker tires are notorious for balance and out of round issues. The tire shop I deal with refuses to work with Coker tires anymore because of the issues you’re describing…
I was at a resto shop about a week ago. Shop manager said forget trying to fix them. He said all the resto stuff is junk. I'm going try to do a basic balance on them. May be wasting time and more money. An awful lot of money to just throw away.

I was looking up prices on Coker red lines and wheel vintiques steelies; way north of $2000! A lot of money to throw away.

followup here. i finally got to work on my steel wheels and coker redlines. i peeled off all the stick on weights and got most of the regular weights off the wheels (some of those weights i couldn't get off). a friend loaned me an old bubble balancer and i bought a bunch of stick on weights to try. wheels and tires were cleaned up, repainted on the inside, and put on the balancer. it took me a few hours to sort everything out but i got them balanced. did a test drive a few hours ago and the difference was amazing! much smoother, got up to 70mph with no shaking! i'm going to call this a win. i did find that the chinese pittsburgh weights at harbor freight worked very well. previously these wheels and tires were put on a spin balancer twice and each time the shake was worse. don't throw away your bubble balancers!

followup here. i finally got to work on my steel wheels and coker redlines. i peeled off all the stick on weights and got most of the regular weights off the wheels (some of those weights i couldn't get off). a friend loaned me an old bubble balancer and i bought a bunch of stick on weights to try. wheels and tires were cleaned up, repainted on the inside, and put on the balancer. it took me a few hours to sort everything out but i got them balanced. did a test drive a few hours ago and the difference was amazing! much smoother, got up to 70mph with no shaking! i'm going to call this a win. i did find that the chinese pittsburgh weights at harbor freight worked very well. previously these wheels and tires were put on a spin balancer twice and each time the shake was worse. don't throw away your bubble balancers!
That's awesome! I love the steel wheel look but am battling a vibration with one of my OE steel wheels on one of my other old cars. I may have to get a bubble balancer. They look so simple I have been skeptical. My next thing that I am going to try is to get a road force balance done. If I can get the steel wheels dialed on this car, I definitely want to put steel wheels on my 70 Bee. Would you say that your torque thrust wheels still feel noticeably smoother?

That's awesome! I love the steel wheel look but am battling a vibration with one of my OE steel wheels on one of my other old cars. I may have to get a bubble balancer. They look so simple I have been skeptical. My next thing that I am going to try is to get a road force balance done. If I can get the steel wheels dialed on this car, I definitely want to put steel wheels on my 70 Bee. Would you say that your torque thrust wheels still feel noticeably smoother?
I've had 3 sets of torque thrust and they are my favorite. One piece machined, easy balance. I think the 15x7 (still American made) with a 225x70 tire is about as good as it gets for a nice driving b-body.

I'm using factory 15x6 front and ramcharger 15x8 on the back, but the 15x8s don't have as much bs as I would like, 255 was the biggest tire that would clear the fender.
I would look for genuine Mopar 15x7s from a later Mopar (5th avenue?)
I would NOT buy redlines from Coker unless you MUST have them with the right name on the side for a hemi or 6pack car. (Goodyear, instead of Firestone)
Buy redlines from Diamondback.

Auto Transport Service
Back