• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steelies By Wheel Vintiques at Summit for 1962

I'll have to check where I bought the wheels. If I remember right, they were around $6.00- $8.00 cheaper per wheel than Vintiques.

Attachments

• P1090988.jpg
    P1090988.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 731
  • P1090990.jpg
    P1090990.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 428
Love them and just what I want for my bird clone thank u so much

I looked at their web site you sent. They've gone up!!!! I think I paid around $145 for the 15x10. I used the same wheel on my 65' Belvedere 1.

Attachments

• P1090556.jpg
    P1090556.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 355
the "63" wheels and the specialty wheel in the photo all take the '68 and later cap. i've bought the "63" wheels before. be sure to have them checked for straightness. quality control isn't great. they use old wheel centers with new rims.

the "63" wheels and the specialty wheel in the photo all take the '68 and later cap. i've bought the "63" wheels before. be sure to have them checked for straightness. quality control isn't great. they use old wheel centers with new rims.
Thanks for the heads up on that

All the wheels I've bought appear to be new construction. I haven't had any issues whatsoever with the Specialty Wheels. Other than they are heavy. I wish someone made a wheel that looked like the factory steel but in a forged aluminum. I'd like to reduce a little unsprung weight.

the way i understand it nobody repops the mopar center section of the wheel. center pieces are salvaged and welded to new rims. one way to tell this is to look at the weld at the inside of the wheel. if you have a factory wheel to compare you will be able to see where the centers were cut and their mounting flanges shortened. i don't think it hurts anything; other than the rims and centers sometimes aren't concentric.

While the subject is still open, I have a question on mine. Bought some later style center caps which are the correct size. However, when they are snapped on the wheel they unsnap way too easy. These are original plymouth as far as I can tell. Just wondering if the center cap bosses in the wheels aren't deep enough. Anyone run into this issue?

If the center's are original salvaged pieces then there shouldn't be any problem with hub caps fitting. If your wheels have been powder coated, you might try sanding down the coating at the three mounting grooves. Powder coatings can range from .006" up thickness.

While the subject is still open, I have a question on mine. Bought some later style center caps which are the correct size. However, when they are snapped on the wheel they unsnap way too easy. These are original plymouth as far as I can tell. Just wondering if the center cap bosses in the wheels aren't deep enough. Anyone run into this issue?
it's possible that some material may have been taken off the nubs during clean-up. i know that i found hammer marks on my centers.

there on this form under cop wheels.

What kind of prep work do I need to do with the Wheel Vintiques Steels (63) if I am going to paint them?

Primer? Powercoat?

Thanks.

I cleaned my rims with a solvent, a light sand and sprayed tremclad on the factory primered rims. They've held up well so far. I'd prefer a more authentic steelie when I can afford it but I'm happy with the results for now. Next time, I'll try to match the paint with the car colour.

64rag3.jpg

i did this some years back to adapt the early cap to the small cap center.

Attachments

• 100_0012.jpg
    100_0012.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 290
Auto Transport Service
Back