• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering box removal. It's never easy for me.

What the heck has happened to Steer N Gear??!!??

I sent an email last night with pictures and explained that I received the incorrect fitting. No reply this morning so I called. The remedy to my problem according to Steer N Gear is to get the correct TRW Pump and Hoses; What??!!?? Can't I just get back the fitting I had on the car in the first place??!!??

Back and forth and over and over again that "all 1968 Chrysler products have a TRW pump, and my Saginaw solution could have never worked?" I explained that I packed my original fittings in a Gladware container when I shipped the box, the Saginaw pump and hoses have worked for the past 9 years, and I just want my old fitting back. Could not convince them the solution to my problem and sent another email explaining in simple, straightforward words that I need to get back to the configuration I had when I shipped the steering box off. Reply was I had the correct fittings.

Called again and debated about the Saginaw pump and hoses that certainly worked BEFORE I shipped off the steering box. I asked again why I just couldn't get my old fitting back. Finally convinced them to send me another fitting.

I am not happy and as far as I am concerned it shows carelessness and lack of concern for customer service. My recommendation for you guys is to just exchange your steering box for a cardone at O'Reillys. With shipping saved both ways you will save almost $200 and not have to argue about changing your power steering pump and hoses.

Last edited:
Well I'm impressed with the stamps Steer N Gear uses. Hopefully I can proceed and finish this job.

IMG_20240210_133744126.jpg

IMG_20240210_133747253.jpg

IMG_20240210_133354564.jpg

Well for those who are following I did get everything back together. Power Steering Pump sounds different to me; hard to explain but it's not quiet, nor is it loud. Just sounds different. No leaks that I can tell, so far. Went ahead and changed oil (I drove the car a whopping 900 miles in the last 14 months since the last oil change). I will test drive tomorrow.

I see they didn't give you a brass washer as mentioned. They gave me one when returning my box that was too large and leaked. Haven't been able to find the exact right size yet. Wish I would have never sent that fitting along with the box.

I did receive the crush washer with the incorrect fitting. I used it on the correct fitting.

I see they didn't give you a brass washer as mentioned. They gave me one when returning my box that was too large and leaked. Haven't been able to find the exact right size yet. Wish I would have never sent that fitting along with the box.
@Moparfiend may have the correct crush washer.

@Moparfiend may have the correct crush washer.
The right fitting was the challenge. But yeah the crush washer was a special design if my memory serves me. I can go back to my thread and check it out if needed. It was a while ago and I didn’t remember crap lol.

You can’t reuse the crush washers.

You actually can, no different than aircraft spark plug washers. Hang it on a wire, heat it up until it glows and just let it air cool to take any hardness out of it.

You actually can, no different than aircraft spark plug washers. Hang it on a wire, heat it up until it glows and just let it air cool to take any hardness out of it.
It’s super high pressure. The washer in the picture below is the “hollow” type that collapses and thus not advisable to be reused. This I believe is the best washer for this application. It may or may not be what the factory used. I got it at Nappa but the guy literally had a kit and just gave it to me.
1707708675233.jpeg

It’s super high pressure. The washer in the picture below is the “hollow” type that collapses and thus not advisable to be reused. This I believe is the best washer for this application. It may or may not be what the factory used. I got it at Nappa but the guy literally had a kit and just gave it to me. View attachment 1607811
I just need to go to a real parts store and get one, just frustrating that S&G return one that clearly doesn't fit.

Originals are solid copper an annealing is perfectly acceptable..
True enough. Hollow crush washers no. I prefer the hollow type as the seal every time as they conform better IMO.
1707711442569.png

Those are called AN900- xx washers in aviation. I've only used and seen them used in no pressure stuff like the sump drain etc. Any high pressure fuel or hydraulic banjo fitting is always a solid aluminum or brass washer.

Those are called AN900- xx washers in aviation. I've only used and seen them used in no pressure stuff like the sump drain etc. Any high pressure fuel or hydraulic banjo fitting is always a solid aluminum or brass washer.
Wayne, thanks for the insight.Sounds like the wrong washer then. I appreciate insight as it is a critical system to get right. I’ll look into this to verify that is indeed what I used. So all hollow type are low pressure washers? Or is the AN900 identifiable differently? The new solid washers seemed to hard and were not really crushing at the correct torque. Possibly poor annealing? The hollow washer crushes easily but begs the question are they strong enough.

The quality of everything these days is unbelievably low... Sealing washers should be annealed to dead soft.. But likely are just packaged straight from the stamping dies.. I've reused hundreds of old sealing washers with no issue, they simply work.. I have a couple assortments of sealing washers.. They are to hard so if I have to use one of them I simply anneal it myself... Not difficult, but I shouldn't have to..

Just looked up the specs on the hollow (usually a fiber fill in them) AN900 washers. They are rated for 200psi and 500F.

Just looked up the specs on the hollow (usually a fiber fill in them) AN900 washers. They are rated for 200psi and 500F.
I saw that as well Wayne. 200 PSI at 500F seems low for a steering pump but I am not sure what pressure steering pumps develop?

Anybody know what pressure steering pumps generate?

Also PV=nRT right so the washers should be able to sustain higher pressures at a lower temperature.

Auto Transport Service
Back