• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering column bracket

Mike Szadaj

Local time
3:09 PM
Reaction score
1968 Coronet. I am putting a 4 speed in an original column shifted automatic car. That, of course, meant swapping the pedals. When I went to put the steering column in, something is missing. In the diagram, the breakaway capsule that is labeled (the one closest to the firewall) has nothing to attach to. Is there a bracket attached to the pedal assembly that I am missing?
sc1.jpg
sc2.jpg

there should be a bracket that supports cowl and column.something like this
s-l1600.jpg

Here's how it attaches and what it looks like

IMG_00000041.jpg
IMG_00000042.jpg

That one is welded right to the car, and goes to the front two breakaway capsules, davek. I have the feeling I left that bracket on the original brake pedal assembly, Stanton. If so I am sure it resides in KY right now. I will have to check next time down there. I still have to wonder if the two different pedal assemblies (with and without clutch pedal) use the same bracket. I guess the two will have to suffice for now. Thanks guys.

I've been missing that bracket since I stole the pedals out of the car in '78, to put in my Fury II.. a year or two before Dad let me get the Bee back on the road. Not sure where it ever went, but it didn't go back in.... no issues... hasn't been there in 40 years!

Auto Transport Service
Back