• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Column fix in firewall ?

Moparjack 489

Local time
4:02 PM
Reaction score
5D09B9ED-0E94-4BF7-BAEE-B08F6F189F18.jpeg
5D09B9ED-0E94-4BF7-BAEE-B08F6F189F18.jpeg
4AA09518-A27D-4E92-A24E-0C0446B4D6E3.jpeg
996F6CFE-B66B-41A6-BF4A-F757FB4D386B.jpeg
Hey Charger guys, I still wonder why my steering column in the firewall with the adapter not full hold in place , because the adapter ring Hole is little bigger as the column itself . I missing some seal, or something that fix the column for no movement ?
I know only on my 73 station coronet the adapter ring and column it self match exactly and I not have any play in the column if I touch it and try to shake ....

If I touch the column in the motorhome near the firewall and try to wobble it waggles a little , maybe this is the reason why I feel vibrations in my steering wheel about 65-80 miles if I cruise in this speed range . On full throttle trough this speed range to 100 miles I not feel it, because everything under “ load “
Up to the flaming River coupler everything is no wobbling or play in it , only when I touch the original shaft , and shake it the steering column up to the steering wheel wobbling

Need a pic from inside the car. Something looks "off."

That is not a factory original setup there. Because of that, you are dealing with some problems that may not be as simple to fix as you would wish.

That is not a factory original setup there. Because of that, you are dealing with some problems that may not be as simple to fix as you would wish.
I would say that’s like Original from steering wheel and column up to the Flamming River coupler . Of course the original shaft are cut to fit the coupler to the Double D shaft . But my problem is the original column are not tight in the firewall hole , because I have a little air gab from the column to the bracing plate .

The top retainer (held in with the 2 silver retaining bolts) should have a rubber O-ring sandwiched between it and the firewall plate. My guess is that the O-ring is MIA.

41f9adf0-c545-4dec-8b1c-db9b9db84380-jpeg.958249

Thank you so much , Crazy.... everything what you not do by you’re self , is a pain in the *** Never Trust the mopar Mechanics in the Shop ...
Ok, anyone knows where I can buy this O-Ring. But looks like I must remove the whole steering column for install this O-Ring , right ?
Thanks so much

But looks like I must remove the whole steering column for install this O-Ring , right ?

Unfortunately, the column does have to come back out, but, it's not that bad of a job. You should be able to remove & reinstall in an hour or so.

Nice ! I hope I order the correct one , on yours picture the O-Ring not looks just like a round big o -ring . Looks more contoured , right?

but anywhere I sure if get the correct one and install it the column will much more stable

A56E764F-84D0-4DB5-AB3A-2DF76D1E0E02.jpeg
What’s the best
Unfortunately, the column does have to come back out, but, it's not that bad of a job. You should be able to remove & reinstall in an hour or so.
What’s the best place to disconnect the column?
Leave the coupler on the double D-Shaft and just Hammer the small Roll Pin out , right

Nice ! I hope I order the correct one , on yours picture the O-Ring not looks just like a round big o -ring . Looks more contoured , right?

but anywhere I sure if get the correct one and install it the column will much more stable
Well that seal had been in there for 47 years at the time.. and it's back in there. Not sure what it originally looked like before being squashed in the assembly.

Well that seal had been in there for 47 years at the time.. and it's back in there. Not sure what it originally looked like before being squashed in the assembly.
Ahh ok , I was thinking is a new ring then I think and hope I order the correct one ! Hey thanks guys a lot !!!

Auto Transport Service
Back