• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Column Ignition Harness wire ID

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:08 AM
Reaction score
Having trouble identifying one wire out of my steering column. Its a thin black wire. Any one know what its for and how it’s connected? I am using a custom connector for the steering column/ ignition system connector. Here’s a pic>

IMG_9741.jpeg

Maybe a replacement ign switch. Not used on A and B bodies, but some C bodies, for ground signal for some testing circuits while cranking.

this setup become a normal setup on lates replacement parts making a just one piece for all bodies to simplify the replacement parts production, having to be matched by the customer per the car needs.

Having trouble identifying one wire out of my steering column. Its a thin black wire. Any one know what its for and how it’s connected? I am using a custom connector for the steering column/ ignition system connector. Here’s a pic>

View attachment 1539501
Is that wire in the main harness or the harness directly made with the switch?

Is that wire in the main harness or the harness directly made with the switch?
Its the ignition switch from the column and not the turn signal connection but the ignition side. I believe Natcho is right as it is a replacement ignition switch.

Its the ignition switch from the column and not the turn signal connection but the ignition side. I believe Natcho is right as it is a replacement ignition switch.
So the other end of the wire is attached to the switch?

It goes to ground while cranking. Used as a brake waring bulb check on some C-bodies, wired into the brake warning circuit. Funny part is if it not removed from the Molex, the same cavity is used for the gear shift light on the dash side of other platforms, illumination circuit. May not be noticed until the first start-up with the lights on, will blow the illumination fuse.

Ignition switch instructions.jpg

Last edited:
The other end is riveted to the ign switch, like the rest of wires. Normally comes inserted into the plug with a molex terminal, but on A, B and E bodies this wire meets with the location for the column shifter light source, so must be removed for these bodies, just kept in place for C bodies.

Originally, Chrysler offered specific ign switch for each assembly, but some years later offered just one switch to be modified accordingly, as shown above

The other end is riveted to the ign switch, like the rest of wires. Normally comes inserted into the plug with a molex terminal, but on A, B and E bodies this wire meets with the location for the column shifter light source, so must be removed for these bodies, just kept in place for C bodies.

Originally, Chrysler offered specific ign switch for each assembly, but some years later offered just one switch to be modified accordingly, as shown above
So it doesn’t need to be grounded?

Actually doesn’t even need to be taped. Is not to take ground and get it into the switch but to send ground taken via Chassis by the switch.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back