• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Column in a 1970 4 Speed Question

Silverbullet

Local time
7:24 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1970 Super Bee with a 4 speed in it, and it is supposed to be factory. On the steering column it has (what I assume is) the shifter linkage for an automatic trans (out in the engine bay). Is this normal? No signs that there was a shifter on the column on the inside of the car.

I have a 1970 Super Bee with a 4 speed in it, and it is supposed to be factory. On the steering column it has (what I assume is) the shifter linkage for an automatic trans (out in the engine bay). Is this normal? No signs that there was a shifter on the column on the inside of the car.
Odd. My 70 Coronet has the same issue.
Car is a floor shifted auto (fender tag confirms) but has column shift brackets on the column in the engine bay.

Mine as well.

Lol, mine too. I was also wondering about that. I suppose it's harmless, it doesn't get in the way of anything.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I'm just skeptical. I bought the car on the internet without seeing it, and thats a lot of cabbage to send some one on just pictures and his word . It's been about 20 years since I have been into Mopars and just re-learning a lot of things.

70 only has lock out linkage that allows you to remove the key.most people don't use it and was gone by 71.

Exactly!^^^^^^

70 only has lock out linkage that allows you to remove the key.most people don't use it and was gone by 71.
I'm not familiar with this?
I remember my 72 Charger 4 speed had a "button" on the column you had to press to get the key out. This 70 doesn't have anything like that.

It’s a 70’ only thing.

Just curious, how do you use it?
I did a google search, and I did indeed find the linkage for sale but, no description.

It connected to the shifter mechanism with a linkage lever/rod. I think a manual trans had to be in reverse gear and I suppose and automatic had to be in Park to allow you to get the key out.

I think you are right Steve. Further searching still found little info on it but I did find a short description. I guess mine is disconnected, as I can take my key out in any gear.

Yup reverse lockout, I removed mine in the early eighties, still have it too.

It must be if it has no linkage on it. It was one of those dud ideas and people probably got sick of it and found a way to disconnect it.

I have that on my '70 4spd car & these guys are correct. It's a "reverse lock-out". There is a linkage that sort of looks like an automatic shift linkage. You have to put the car in reverse to get the ignition key out. It would lock the car in reverse at the same time the steering column was locked (anti-theft - new for 1970). I "think" I remember that the '70 reverse shift arm (on trans) has an extra hole for that linkage. I removed mine many years ago due to header clearance issues.

Years ago I had that little lever (in the engine bay) move a little bit.... and the car wouldn't start....key wouldn't turn, or wouldn't fire up, or maybe I just couldn't get the key out? (can't remember, MANY years ago) and I had to move that lever back to the 5 o'clock position and the car started fine. I had it wired down to the frame rail so it wouldn't happen again....just a fyi in case you ever have a similar situation.

Last edited:
Same here. Key wouldn't come out. Took me a bit to figure it out.
Thought column came from a column shifted car & seller was being dishonest. I was wrong
Now I know "the rest of the story."

you had to put the trans in reverse to get the key to pull from the locking columns . so the trans was locked in reverse with the steering wheel locked from rotation .

So if a thief jumps your car the trans is still stuck in reverse? Hmm. Yeah, that's kind of bizarre.

Auto Transport Service
Back