• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Column install

Turboflite

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:58 PM
Reaction score
When trying to install my original steering column on -71 Charger M/T the upper brackets nuts are almost on the edge off the bracket, looks like I’m want another half inch ‍♂️
Any ideas what could cause this?

IMG_0275.jpeg

You should be able to slide it an inch.

You need to loosen the 2 bolts on the center column plate (the one that is attached to the larger 3 bolt firewall plate) and try to push the column down a little to get what you are after. That center plate acts as a clamp of sorts to help support the column but it relies on friction (there is a large O ring behind it) and sometimes when you move the column around it can move slightly. Also it depends on whether the rag joint/pot is seated correctly onto the steering box and if the column is seated into the pot.

The center column plate is loose, the joint is attached to the steering box.
When pulling the column I could hear that it stops att the firewall or the 3 point firewall plate should I loosen up that one too?

The shaft has likely collapsed a bit, plastic locating pins have broken, fairly common with age. Give the steering wheel a good yank aft with the three bracket bolts loosened a bit.

Okay, I’ll try that, is it any way to verify the collapse?
Should I do any thing to do about it?

Check the measurement from the bottom column housing to the welded joint pictured, should be around 5 1/8”, anything less, the shaft plastic shear pins have broken, and shaft has collapsed a bit.
Steering shaft length.jpg

Also, be sure you pay attention to the coupling slip joint location in the final mounting.
steering coupler.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back