• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering wheel swaps?

Phantom440

Local time
1:15 AM
Reaction score
Hi all, I hope you're doing well.
I wasn't sure to post this here or the steering forum; I'm specifically asking about a '72 B-body. I've seen steering wheels advertised as being for "A and B body" and "A, B and C body" do all '71-74 steering wheels interchange? Would '70 A, B, or C-body wheels work with our spline count? I'm curious if there is any wheel I could use on my '72 with a partial or full horn ring. Looking through the forums it seems '69-back wheels will not work, but not sure about 1970 cars. I understand the picture is from a police car, so was this police-only, or a repurposing of existing (1970?) parts? Thank you!

RK interior.jpg

1970 was the first year for the column that was very similar until at least 1975.
So, 70-74 should work.

Last edited:
You will find that most of the wheels of that era will fit. After 70 the columns appear to be GM units so there is that. In other words, there isn't a lot special about the Mopar column other than how it bolts into the car and the wiring.

I believe only the tilt columns were gm sourced.

The Saginaw columns

The diff between pre 70 with 70 and laters is the column diameter due the ign switch relocation to the column being laters bigger diameter. So all steering wheels will interchange as far the collar diameter matchs with SW

The only doubt I have would be the saginaw tilt columns.

I almost said 70 was the first year for key on the column.

The 70 floor shift collars are different, but I think they work on later columns.

Auto Transport Service
Back