• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stereo faders

vegiguy

Local time
5:46 PM
Reaction score
Did all factory B-body AM/FM stereos from this era use external stereo faders, or did some have the fader built into the radio itself? I'm guessing if you hook one of the stereos that need a fader up without a fader it will still make sound, right?

External faders are for Mono Radios. Stereos get the fader on the outer ring of the tunning knob

External faders are for Mono Radios. Stereos get the fader on the outer ring of the tunning knob
I'm pretty sure mine is a stereo because it has four transistors on the back of it and three speaker wires (black, violet and green) coming out of the case. I'll just wire it then with a black wire and the green wire going to the front dash speaker, and a wire spliced off of the previously mentioned black wire and the violet wire going to the single rear speaker. I'll just ignore the part of the diagram in my factory service manual which shows a fader being part of the radio to speaker wiring. Hopefully the radio works.

Yes, thats a stereo Radio, but the fader mounted on map light insert is just for Mono Radios WITH rear speaker, no matter if AM or AM/FM.

Stereo Radios, just like Mono with fader ( for rear speakers ) gets its own harness to splitt off the left ( front ) and right ( rear ) signals from the Radio plug

Nacho is correct. Outer left ring is "tone" and right outer ring is left/right balance. If your doing front/rear either mono or stereo you need an external fader.

The fader knob on Mono radios takes the place of the “balance” pot on stereo Radios. Mono radios don’t have a functional outer control on tunnin knob

The fader knob on Mono radios takes the place of the “balance” pot on stereo Radios. Mono radios don’t have a functional outer control on tunnin knob
My radio is a factory stereo radio, has a left tone, right balance (L/R) and I use an external for front back.

I don't get it Bob! On Stereo Radios ( stock setup ) left is routed to front and right is routed to rear. So there is not a reason to install a Rr/Ft fader. The Rr Fader is used just to Mono radios with rear speakers, for these reason, since is mono they just get one output signal.

I don't get it Bob! On Stereo Radios ( stock setup ) left is routed to front and right is routed to rear. So there is not a reason to install a Rr/Ft fader. The Rr Fader is used just to Mono radios with rear speakers, for these reason, since is mono they just get one output signal.
I have 4 speakers, 2 front, L/R and 2 rear L/R

Auto Transport Service
Back