• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Still Hope Out There For Chain Store?

Dibbons

Local time
10:54 PM
Reaction score
The following conversation took place at my local Autozone Store in Spanish, but I will roughly translate here to English:

Took an old fan belt (#15450) with me into the store. Johanna looked it up about three different ways and on the last try the belt image appeared on her computer screen (Bingo! or so I thought). She then asked me what year the vehicle was?

I told her it was a 1965 (Barracuda) but that changes had been made since then and looking up the belt by way of year/model would be a dead end. I asked her what was wrong with the belt on her screen?

She put her finger on the screen over the "ribbed" part of the replacement belt image and said it was different than my old belt (which was smooth, not ribbed). I explained the replacement belt was updated and now replaced my old (smooth-style) belt, which could be 50 years old now. She then suggested I pay for the belt and pick it up the following day because it was located in another store across town. I agreed to do so.

Then I told her she was a little too astute for her own good (meant to be taken as a complement that she was observant to minute details of things).

Then she walked with me over to the cash register and took my payment. I was impressed she was the cashier because they are usually the newest and "greenest" rookies in the stores. Well, let's just say I am looking forward to seeing Johanna again real soon.

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 9.20.14 PM.png

What?

No pics?

Our Local Auto Zone is managed by Michele.She is really good and we get along as she actually understands that I build cars.
I only talk to her.She will go the distance and actually look for stuff that others say "It don't exist."

Last edited:
We had a red neck girl at the local O'Reilly's for a while.

Always wore wranglers and cowboy boots.

Knew a lot.

...and was super hot.

On the other hand, the MANAGER of the Advance Auto Parts store in nearby Martin actually argued with me for almost 3 minutes and insisted I really wanted head gaskets for that 440 I was building instead of header gaskets. << eye roll >>

I was the only female at Checker Auto in Canon City for four years and regularly got roasted and tested, especially at first. The typical muffler bearing / blinker fluid / master cylinder spark plug questions happened quite a bit until the locals figured out I knew what I was doing. A nice kid named Warren who started not long before I moved to California fell for them pretty routinely and spent a half hour digging through catalogs looking for a lower radiator hose for a '55 VW.

Got my "wish" (see last line of post #1). Returned to Autozone to pickup the belt being sent over from another store and Johanna was standing at the door waiting to help me. I gave her the rct and she came out and handed me the belt while wishing me well.

I said wait a minute, we have some new business to take care of! We need to see about a small block fuel pump (Carter M6866). She logged onto her terminal only to find it was not available. She referred me to a local auto parts store down the street. I thanked her for her attention and said I was going to shop around a little more.

By the time I wandered around a bit to the very back of the store, there was Johanna with a very wide dry push-mop, keeping busy polishing the floor. Right beside her was the coolant I needed, but the 35% mix appeared to be out of stock. I saw 50% mix, which I really don't need in a desert climate like this.

I asked Johanna if there was any 35% available? She looked at the empty rack and answered no. I told her I would just purchase the other concentrate then. She asked me how many I needed and I told her 3 gallons. As I began to pull the coolant from the shelf, she offered a hand to help me. I gave her one gallon and I carried the other two gallons myself, one in each hand. I followed her to the cash register where she performed the transaction and we said our goodbyes.

Again, I was impressed by her helpfulness and the fact that she left her "station" at the register to go clear to the back of the store to clean the floor just to keep busy.

Our Local lil' Napa store, NAPA/Debco is owned & managed by a
Debbie & her Husband, he takes claim a lot
but she's been running it long before they were married
or before him
she's an ol' USAC/NACAR dirt-rack girl

knows her stuff pretty damn well
rare to find for these older & new cars today

The Advance auto I us d to buy from had a couple of young ladies that knew what they were doing and would go out of their way to help. Both have moved to other parts stores and so have I.

I saw one guy giving a counter gal a ration one day. She calmly told him what he wanted was a dealer item and offered to call the dealer and let them know he was headed their way. He hurriedly declined and left.
She must have hurt some egos as she wasnt there long.

Auto Transport Service
Back