• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stock hinges for A12 hood?

koosh

Local time
7:54 AM
Reaction score
Can i use stock 1969 Coronet Super Bee hood hinges on an A12 hood?
Or is there a specific kit for a fiberglass A12?

Does your hood have the provision for hinges, and the striker ? I've had both... with, and without. The lighter one did not have them. The one with the provisions I'd used stock hinges and striker.

A real A12 hood has no provision for a hinge or latch.
There are 6-pack hoods out there in the aftermarket designed to use the hinges, some use the factory latch, some use pins at the front.
Pin front are less expensive.
Nowadays, packaging and shipping can easily double the cost of a hood, and there's always the chance of shipping damage.

A real A12 hood has no provision for a hinge or latch.
There are 6-pack hoods out there in the aftermarket designed to use the hinges, some use the factory latch, some use pins at the front.
Pin front are less expensive.
Nowadays, packaging and shipping can easily double the cost of a hood, and there's always the chance of shipping damage.
I won’t know if provisions are there til next week, but will check. So you’re saying if there are bolt holes at the rear, then factory hinges should work? If so, im hoping to just use the front pins

most aftermarket fiberglass hoods do not have a way to use hood hinges if you use an aftermarket hinged hood they tell you not to use factory hinge they sell lighter assembly's with soft springs.

Stock springs will make your aftermarket hood warp. Use light ones to avoid this.

I won’t know if provisions are there til next week, but will check. So you’re saying if there are bolt holes at the rear, then factory hinges should work? If so, im hoping to just use the front pins
I own a real A12 hood (on my real A12).
There is NO PROVISION for a hinge, in any way, shape, or form.
IF you have, or get an aftermarket six pack hood, it may, or may not, have provision for a hinge.
Race weight (15-20 lbs) won't, street weight (35lbs) might.

I had a Six Barrel (aftermarket ) hoiod on my road runner. Used my original hinges, just got the light weight springs.

use no springs or very lightweight springs
the factory spring will either break the fiberglass
when attempting to close or warp the crap out of it,
like the AAR 'cudas did even with a weaker spring

a real 69.5 A12 RR/Super Bee 6bbl/six-pack hoods
has/have no springs or latch
it has 4 hood pins & lanyards 2 front off the radiator support outer sides
& 2 rear with a mounting plate the goes where the hood hinges would have

albeit this is on my 68 RR, they never came on them
it doesn't stop you from installing one on them

68 RR LL1 Clear #1 before cutt & buff.JPG

68 RR LL1 Paint & Clear #2 with trim 10-2017.JPG

these are the A12 69.5 hood pins & lanyards kit
from Year One

Roadrunner 69.5 6bbl hood - hood pins & lanyards kit - Year One.png

rear pin mounts, also from Year one
Roadrunner 69.5 6bbl hood - hood pins rear 2 standoffs - Year One.png

most aftermarket fiberglass hoods do not have a way to use hood hinges if you use an aftermarket hinged hood they tell you not to use factory hinge they sell lighter assembly's with soft springs.
Where do i find lighter/softer springs or hinges?
Or can i just remove the original springs?

when i looked into buying mine there were a few company's that sold the hinge and light spring do not know who sells what these days look at unlimited fiberglass is the hood i bought and it is tuff i have had the hood blow off [ test drive forgot hood pins ] man that was funny after i found no damage.

And that's why I used the factory latch and cat h with my reproduction

Does your hood have the provision for hinges, and the striker ? I've had both... with, and without. The lighter one did not have them. The one with the provisions I'd used stock hinges and striker.
...and I'd omitted, as other have correctly pointed out, use light springs or no springs... on the one I had with the hinge provisions, I'd used NO springs.

Thanks guys!
The hunt begins for pair of hinges

You can leave the springs off and just use a prop rod of some sort when you need to get under the hood, but it gets old fast....
These are the springs I've used- Fiberglass hood springs

I'd consider a hinged aftermarket on a real A12. Lift-off hoods are a pita. Keep the original stuff in the garage.

As stated my A12 cars fiberglass hood had no provisions for hood hinges or a latch mechanism. They do make A12 replica hoods with hood hinge provisions.

Auto Transport Service
Back