• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange electrical problem

NHCharger

Local time
4:48 AM
Reaction score
69 Charger. Started running a bit rough two weeks ago, thought I picked up some debris in the carb, cleaned it out, no better. Went to a friends mopar party last Saturday (150 miles round trip). On the trip home we pulled onto the highway to cruising speed, 70, wife said she thought she could smell something burning (electrical), I started feeling the dash wiring harness, seemed ok, smell went away, after five miles on the highway the car shut off, lost all power, coasted to a stop in the BD lane .
Battery connections fine, started wiggling the two bottom wires on the starter relay and the interior lights came back on, car started back up, fuel, oil pressure and temp gauge now not working. Took off, stayed in the right lane just incase, 30 miles later died again, coasted into a rest stop, wiggled the two bottom wires on starter relay, lights came back on in car, shut hood, started car and took off (darkness now setting in), left turn signal now not working. 10 miles later it died again, this time wiggling the two bottom wires did nothing, when I started wiggling the fusible link wire at the BH connector the interior lights came back on. At this point the remaining 25 miles home seemed like a longshot. Made it 15 miles to my Dad's house, parked the Charger and borrowed his car for the rest of the ride.

On Sunday I decided to play it safe and trailered the car home. Two bulbs burned out on DS tail lights. Can't get the gauges to work, think the voltage limiter on the back side of dash is fried. I wiggled and yanked on the starter relay wires to no avail to try and get the interior lights to shut off. All the fuses are ok. I replaced ALL the wiring harnesses when I rebuilt the car a few years ago so **** like this wouldn't happen. Have already had to fix a loose connection in the fuse box this year. Think the starter relay is one of the few things I didn't replace when I restored car. Can they start working intermittently or cause a voltage spike that could fry bulbs and my voltage limiter? What else might be causing this issue?

Sounds like you have several things going on here, first off it sounds like you have loose and/or corroded connections. It sounds like you might also have some fried connections. In the electrical world, one begets the other; loose connections cause heat to build up and subsequently things get burned up.

The starter relay is just a connection point for the power that goes into the car.
The problems you describe would not warrant replacing the relay itself.

Pull the cluster and check the ammeter. 15 years is longer than you think, check the two bulkhead trouble spots - fusible link in and alt connection. - Maybe remove the female side from the dash harness and check the tension with a spare sta-kon. Has to be tight!

Auto Transport Service
Back