• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

street/ sticky tires to replace my 295/50r15

Gary Masse

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:03 PM
Reaction score
Looking for advice on my rear tire replacements and I want to be educated. I have Cooper 295/50r15s now and they are over 10 years old and have very little traction(all they do is spin even at 45 mph just hitting the gas in third(5 speed TKO)) I do not intend on drag racing but the occasional fun on the strip/ street will happen. I have a 1971 GTX with a stroker 500( 585 hp and 620 torque) I drive it about 4000 to 5000 miles a year and avoid rain as much as I can. What do you guys or girls suggest?

Maybe M/T ET Street SS

I would look at a milder, harder drag radial.
I doubt you woul# be happy with one of the bias street drag tires, like et street, or Hoosier quick time or quick time pro. They're basically drag slicks, with grooves.
There are also very aggressive drag radials. Hoosier makes some, along with mickey et street R, and et street pro. Th3y will have great traction, but wear out quickly in substantial use. You might get 3000 miles from a pair, maybe less.
I would suggest something like a et street ss, a Nitto of the various drag styles, or a Toyo. They are probably a bit harder than a pure all-out drag radial, but should have a bunch more traction than a tired, old regular street tire, no matter how big.
Et street ss is available as a 295/55, and a 295/65. The '65 is a couple inches taller. If you have room, I would use the taller one. The 55 is probably 1/2 taller than your 50, the 65 about 2 1/2 taller.

as said, the drag radials don't last very long. But for good traction the ET radial Pros are a very nice tire. And they don't have much sidewall movement. And I've had the ET SS streets which didn't do good for traction.

I can't say what will work for you but I have M/T SS radials on my red car... It had Goodyear Eagles on it before that would simply go up in smoke if I wasn't nice... Now if I hammer WOT from a dead stop the tires spin lightly for 15-20 feet then the car just hooks... It's a 10-1 eddie headed 340, probably 325-350 HP but the 4:30 gears is what makes it kill tires....

How did you like the coopers ?? Maybe just go with what you know and get a spair pair of rear wheels and slicks for your occasional trips down the strip. You have steel toe work boots for work, dress shoes for formal occasions etc. So why not have proper tires for the scene. After all you have a pretty stout animal.
Just some of my thoughts.

Imo coopers or bfg's would be very much the wrong pair of shoes at that power level.
You want a max performance summer tire - but that means moving from 15". Next best is one of the harder/hybrid 15" drag radial.

I run nitto 555r because at the time they had a wet weather rating.
Lots of traction tests with many miles and about 5 summers on them.
A friend had the mt tires and thought they were slippery than Vaseline and switched to nitto.
But I run 325/50/15 so not sure if they make your size.

But I run 325/50/15 so not sure if they make your size.
[/QUOTE]
Looks like they make a nitto 555R in 275x50, or 60 by 15, then skip to 325/50x15.

A friend had the mt tires and thought they were slippery than Vaseline and switched to nitto.

Which M/T tire did he have? And, exactly what did he mean by “slippery than Vaseline”. Did he mean poor straight line traction at the track, or street driving handling?

I used the ET Street SS for years on my 500 inch motor. Hard to imagine someone’s experience would be best described as “slippery” unless compared to a full on slick, verses the OPs starting point of Cooper street tires.

Which M/T tire did he have? And, exactly what did he mean by “slippery than Vaseline”. Did he mean poor straight line traction at the track, or street driving handling?

I used the ET Street SS for years on my 500 inch motor. Hard to imagine someone’s experience would be best described as “slippery” unless compared to a full on slick, verses the OPs starting point of Cooper street tires.
Agree. A Mickey sportsman st is basically a Cooper cobra with a different name on the side, and might be described as slippery. I don't think that descriptor would apply to a et street SS or R.

Et street.
Slippery as in it would not hook at the track.
Borrowed my nittos and hooked better. Mine were mounted on steel 10" rims.
His were mounted on centerline auto drags 10"

He was running 408 stroker, indy heads, 727

Et street.
Slippery as in it would not hook at the track.
Borrowed my nittos and hooked better. Mine were mounted on steel 10" rims.
His were mounted on centerline auto drags 10"

He was running 408 stroker, indy heads, 727
That's surprising to me. You're the first I've ever heard who claimed that nittos worked better than mickeys.
Of course, there is always the proper answer, to getting a car to hook at the strip......

Another pair of wheels, a lug wrench, a jack, and a set of real slicks!

Thanks for all the info. I like the Nitto 555RIIs the best, really liking the P275/50r15 at just 25.87. I think P275/60r15 might be too tall at 27.99

Thanks for all the info. I like the Nitto 555RIIs the best, really liking the P275/50r15 at just 25.87. I think P275/60r15 might be too tall at 27.99
On a 71-2 Plymouth B body? Use a taller tire...

275/60/15 is probably the most popular rear tire used on these old B Bodies. 28" is definitely not to tall. I run those as well as 295/50/15's. I like them both, but sometimes wish the 295's were a smidgen taller. Those 275/50's are quite short, especially for a B body rear wheelwell.

Guys are running low 5’s in the 1/8th with 275 drag radials, they should be adequate for almost any street car…

Looking for advice on my rear tire replacements and I want to be educated. I have Cooper 295/50r15s now and they are over 10 years old and have very little traction(all they do is spin even at 45 mph just hitting the gas in third(5 speed TKO)) I do not intend on drag racing but the occasional fun on the strip/ street will happen. I have a 1971 GTX with a stroker 500( 585 hp and 620 torque) I drive it about 4000 to 5000 miles a year and avoid rain as much as I can. What do you guys or girls suggest?
hoosier 295 60 d15 , treaded slicks ....

Here's a 275-60R 15 on my Runner.
More than enough room for a 295-60.
Feb 26th (8).jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back