• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stripping

sdyer233

Local time
1:12 AM
Reaction score
So i'm no body guy. I'm redoing the paint on my 73 charger and decided to take on some of the prep work, such as stripping. Do i just go at the existing paint with a DA and some 80 grit? or is there a special way? the car is virtually rust free so next to no body work:hello2:

just to clarify, i personally am not doing the paint, but to save time i will be stripping the car of its paint that it has now

The 3M Bristle disc's work awesome........But, pricey.

687440_300.jpg

Wire wheels work pretty good, but can turn into a meteor shower of metal wires, (especially the cheapo's).

DA and some sandpaper will also work. Pretty time consuming. Careful with an 80 Grit. That course can mellow out body lines/edges/corners quickly.

Obviously media blasting would be the quickest/easiest way to go, but sounds like you're taking the helm on doing it yourself. I'm sure others here will chime in with their own ideas-likes as well.

Good luck

media is an option as well. Im thinking that if i put in the time and money I should do it once and do it right..right?

Get a Harbor Frieght Polisher / Sander (on sale for 29.99) and a 3M paint remover disk (7" diameter) 18.99 at Fastenal. Do not get the hook and look 3M pad because the Harbor Frieght Sander comes with one. It will probably take 2 or 3 disks to strip the whole car. You can also get small 3" pads for a 90 degree die grinder. See pictures below.

buffer small.jpg

3M wheel small.jpg

Link to 3M disk. http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0819170

Patrick

Media blasting is the best way to go as Propwash stated. I have chemically stripped plenty of cars myself. It works pretty good.

Just be careful if your going to strip it with a DA or a grinder, you don't want to warp the metal by getting it to hot.

Damn, I was hoping for a hot chick and well music....

Mike

very interesting method, will defiantly have to try that one out!

and yes i apologize how about a stripper stripping my car:icon_wink:

Wow, razor blade and heat gun? Amazing, all are hobbyist methods, when you want to go pro, you'll get it media blasted.

My 66 had many coats of paint on it and after starting out with 80 grit and then trying a razor blade stripper, I ended up doing the rest of the car with that way and it came off in sheets and didn't use any heat gun on it.

probably going to blast it, found a friend with one so it makes the most sense

me three.....

Bryan

Me as well. I was hoping for a strip and polish...

Price out media blast vs tools/materials/electricity... From my experience do it best way the first time. You first loss is your cheapest loss.

Now let's see some strippers!!!

Don't even try to blast it yourself. Media Blasting is not for the hobbyist. To do it right, you need some heavy duty expensive equipment and facility.

Auto Transport Service
Back