• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stuck Heat Riser

Nxcoupe

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:12 PM
Reaction score
I was looking at my passenger side exhaust and realized that my heat riser is stuck and doesn't move. I'm assuming it is stuck in the closed position, so I need to get this open. I found a manifold at the nats and it had a stuck riser as well, so I took a picture of the counterweight position so I could compare and see if mine is indeed stuck shut.
Question is, what have you done to unstick a stuck riser? And what method did you use to just loosen it up to move it to stick open?
Thaks is in advance.

I was looking at my passenger side exhaust and realized that my heat riser is stuck and doesn't move. I'm assuming it is stuck in the closed position, so I need to get this open. I found a manifold at the nats and it had a stuck riser as well, so I took a picture of the counterweight position so I could compare and see if mine is indeed stuck shut.
Question is, what have you done to unstick a stuck riser? And what method did you use to just loosen it up to move it to stick open?
Thaks is in advance.
Some manifolds have small holes to help lube the shaft. I would lube it well and let it soak. Then lightly tap on each end of the shaft and keep lubing. It might break free. Other wise remove the manifold and see whats there. Someone could of welded it open. If not more lube and more taps on the shaft. If that does not work time for some heat.

I had a Heat riser stuck on a 68 big block HP exhaust manifold. I kept applying a good penetrating oil to the pivot points for a few days from all sides. Each day I’d gently apply a little force until one day it started to move. Note that I had the manifold off the car and on a bench so I could get access to all sides. On the car this would be more difficult.

I had a Heat riser stuck on a 68 big block HP exhaust manifold. I kept applying a good penetrating oil to the pivot points for a few days from all sides. Each day I’d gently apply a little force until one day it started to move. Note that I had the manifold off the car and on a bench so I could get access to all sides. On the car this would be more difficult.
Thanks guys. I do not want to remove the manifold and end up having to take tgis head off as well, but I will spray penetrating oil on it every day and then try to gently persuade it to move.

Auto Transport Service
Back