• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Summer heat and working in the shop

103* right now and supposed to hit 104*. It’s 80* in house and the ac comes on at 81*. I’ll set to 78* after the sun goes down.

We’ve had one of the better summers I can remember around where I am. Perfect for farmers and top down days. Grass has stayed unusually thick and green more like early summer. Been cooler last couple weeks, ahead of what is typical a month from now. Wonder if winter will arrive sooner…hope NOT.

Over 100 in the garage right now at 4pm

Trying to get a air and electric reel up.

7A7C9A2C-7F4B-4C95-A5D9-1A3D4D5B9B63.jpeg

731A462E-9248-41DF-BBB7-072309E265B6.jpeg

Worked on my '63 over the weekend. Yesterday was upper 80's, and humid. Prepped for the radiator support blackout, not good painting temps. Got to it today, temps and humidity dropped, comfortable about 70 today. Finished it up, Beer:30, feels like 60ish now, and just put a sweatshirt on, out on the deck...

0904221137.jpg

0904221245a.jpg

My dad and I build a big garage at his home while I was still there, that garage forever shaped my idea on how a garage shouldn't be built lol. I don't get hot in my garage, it's big enough to work in but not so big that it's hard to cool plus it's built like a home would be built, tight and well insulated.

To answer your question though, any time I'm working on something in the heat like our garage that I'm currently adding onto the house I like to have a big fan on hand and preferably some shade.

Last edited:
My shop has a 10' wide overhead door and it lets in a nice breeze but it's still hot feeling at 100 degrees like it's been several days in a row. Humidity here isn't all that low so it feels 110-113. There's a 12k btu window unit built in my clean room and that helps a lot plus the 100 gallon red neck pool is also nice to have. We FINALLY got a storm early last night that cooled things down and brought some rain along with lots of lightning but by the time it got here, it was weakening. Rain gauge had 1/4" in it.....I'll take it!

Making the error when building the house in '97, put no windows on one side other than a 2nd service door, is 3 car garage. Had thought about an OH there but didn't happen. New 2nd garage has one in the rear with two larger OH's on opposite wall plus 4 windows on the other walls. Usually get enough breeze regardless of wind direction to stay pretty comfortable. Good thing I was younger before the new garage tolerating the heat more then than I do now.

I have to make a correction on that 10-foot door..... it's at the back and my front door is a 16 ft double. The breeze is usually from the southeast so it comes in back door and really helps out plus I have a 25-ft x 25 ft patio cover in the back...

The weather here in WNY has been warm this year, upper 80's to mid 90's some days so far. I've been working on the '63, and keeping the doors closed, and temp inside has been great, almost like A/C !!!

I put big doors at both ends...... it's like a pavilion when the breeze blows

My neighbors have insulated shops, one is spray foamed and the other is the roll out insulation for shops. My shop isn’t insulated and lately, according to my temperature gauge, it’s been 100 inside. I do however have a 10 foot ceiling fan, it moves the air. With the shed I built on the back side of the shop, that wall temp dropped 25 degrees thanks to the shed blocking the sun on that side. I need to get another window mounted ac and put on a movers fillet so I can have cold air blowing on me when I’m working inside the shop.

In our first house some years before we could swing for central AC, a buddy had an all-house fan in his house. One hot day we got back to his place and he turned it on and within a few minutes the temp in the house must have dropped 20 degrees. Was amazed. It blew out the hot air through the attic. An affordable thing to do. About two weeks later with my handy dad’s help, put one in our house. Sure helped for the few years before getting central air.

Hot and humid in south FL. 7pm and it's 90 deg with 70% humidity - feels like 94 deg and it's better today than the last several. Our 3 car garage sticks out off one end of the house with long sides facing north/south and the free end to the west. We have a double garage door on the front (south) side and a single door on the back (north) side. I can usually get a decent cross-breeze if I open both doors. I also have a big fan that helps, but it still gets hot.

Been working inside my car on an interior project so not much breeze there. Still seems better than working out in the yard except that I don't like dripping sweat on/in the car. Either way, I start early and am usually done - wiped out - by lunch even with frequent breaks in the house for a/c and water.

I saw something recently that suggested freezing water bottles and then placing those in front of the fan to cool the air. Might have to try that if I don't finish this project before it gets hotter.

July thru Sep are usually the worst. At that point I'm either inside or in the pool. Temps are much better in the winter, but that's also ideal cruising time so I work on most car projects in the spring or fall.

We've been camping locally this week, a Lot of out of State people here, FL, Utah, Virginia, NE States, Arkansas. We talked to a bunch, mostly enroute to other destinations. No real reason to camp at the Park we were at, but a few said the weather here was great, compared to back home. Many were just sitting inside, with their A/C running, watching TV ? Why go camping ???

not hot here, but absolutely brutal for working...... air is thick and stagnate....... just came in for a dry shirt

8 mph wind my *** :mad:

1687621741965.png

Yesterday was the worst I've encountered around here by the Canadian wildfires haze. Took off my sunglasses thinking they needed cleaning.

Auto Transport Service
Back