• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Super Bee Transmission Swap?

jhutch33

Local time
11:49 AM
Reaction score
I have a 69 Super Bee that was originally a 383 car but now has a 440. It still has an automatic TorqueFlite transmission. I'm considering swapping it over to a 4 speed. I would prefer to drive a 4 speed, but I'm a little hesitant to have the swap done because I don't want to negatively impact the value of my car. Would that hurt the value? Also, does anyone know about what it would cost to have it converted to a 4 speed at a reasonable shop, including the cost of the transmission, labor, etc?

Paying to have it done? Parts & labor figure $7500 bux.

Just go buy a 4 speed car.

I converted my Bee to a 4-speed. It was already missing the original 727, so the swap didn't bother me. If it would have been a #'s car, I probably wouldn't have done it. If you get ahold of Brewers, they will give you a quote with absolutely everything needed for the swap. You will probably be surprised at how much it costs.

You could do it cheaper if you start collecting the bigger parts like the transmission, bellhousing, clutch pedals, hurst shifter, etc. from places like facebook marketplace, craigslist. Let's say you get those 4 items for $1200 - $1500 in fairly good condition. Almost all the other parts are available from brewers. Maybe another $1500 for clutch, flywheel, linkage, floor tunnel etc? These aren't exact numbers but i think it would be doable if you take your time and aren't in a big hurry. Still need to install it though so that would take more if you're not willing or able to do it.

Bought a 4 speed transmission out of a 69 Coronet and a set of 66/67 b body clutch pedals in Kuna about a year and a half ago for about $700. That stuff is still out there.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate your thoughts. How do you feel about changing a car that was originally an automatic to a 4 speed? Does it impact the value too much one way or the other since it isn't a numbers matching car?

Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate your thoughts. How do you feel about changing a car that was originally an automatic to a 4 speed? Does it impact the value too much one way or the other since it isn't a numbers matching car?
What exactly do you have? If an A12 or Hemi car, no way would I do the swap. If a regular Bee that is not numbers matching already, I don't think it is a huge deal as far as value is concerned. Just my opinion of course, but I prefer manual over an auto any day of the week.

Depends on condition and rarity IMO.

I'd have no problem converting a driver quality car.

I would NOT convert an N96 #2 car with other rare options.

You already mentioned that the car doesn't have the original engine, so you've already taken any hit on the value that the original drive train would have brought. But, keep in mind that some people value numbers match and others don't care in the least, the latter is the group that you'll be dealing with if you ever decide to sell the car. So, since the original drive train value is already gone, changing the transmission will have little, to no, further impact. Now there are two ways to look at this, manual trans cars seem to be more coveted than their auto-trans counterparts, so changing to a manual trans may add value. However, as most of us get older it becomes more difficult to manipulate a clutch pedal, so the people that maybe had a knee replacement, or their legs just aren't what they were when they were younger, may begrudgingly be drawn towards an auto trans these days, so the auto might add value to an aging crowd, but not because it's correct for the car.

In the end, it's your car, so do what you want. You can always keep all of the parts that you swapped over so that any future owner, or yourself, can easily swap it back and they'll have the correct trans for the car.
These are just my thoughts of course.

You already mentioned that the car doesn't have the original engine, so you've already taken any hit on the value that the original drive train would have brought. But, keep in mind that some people value numbers match and others don't care in the least, the latter is the group that you'll be dealing with if you ever decide to sell the car. So, since the original drive train value is already gone, changing the transmission will have little, to no, further impact. Now there are two ways to look at this, manual trans cars seem to be more coveted than their auto-trans counterparts, so changing to a manual trans may add value. However, as most of us get older it becomes more difficult to manipulate a clutch pedal, so the people that maybe had a knee replacement, or their legs just aren't what they were when they were younger, may begrudgingly be drawn towards an auto trans these days, so the auto might add value to an aging crowd, but not because it's correct for the car.

In the end, it's your car, so do what you want. You can always keep all of the parts that you swapped over so that any future owner, or yourself, can easily swap it back and they'll have the correct trans for the car.
These are just my thoughts of course.
You raised some very logical points in this reply. I think this is the best advice I've read yet. Thanks again for everyone's input. I think I'm just going to leave it as an automatic for now.

I did it to 69 charger don't for get the column will need to be changed as well.
I did it myself and converted to console with 1970 pistol grip. I would say I cost me about 3500 back in 2007 and I did the labor . Today 8000 more.likey

Auto Transport Service
Back