• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

superbee clone value

ord27

Local time
11:00 AM
Reaction score
hey guys
I'm on here a lot, but don't post much
My daily driver is a '67 Camaro and would like to add the option of driving a '70 super bee.
my question: If I am going to build a super bee with modern stuff (possibly even an LS engine), would it's value be greater if I started with a real Bee vs just a basic Coronet?
thanks

Last edited:
I think you would lower the value of a real bee by putting an L's motor in it. You may as well pick up a Coronet 440 and clone it. Not that I condone that sort of behavior.

yea...I should have clarified. I wouldn't do a matching numbers car. I would look for one that is missing its engine and transmission

A real Bee that can be 'returned to stock' if someone wants to will always be worth more than a car that has been over 'personalized'.

I would still look for a cheaper coronet 440 and then make it look like a bee. Its your car, so do what makes you happy. If it were me, I would leave a real bee for someone to restore. If you're looking to make it more valuable, use a modern hemi. That way it would appeal to most of the Mopar crowd. I think if you put a gm motor in, you cut your interest in half. Just my opinion.

I'm not a Chevy Hater, I've owned & raced many of them... but putting a GM LS/L series engine or any Non-MoPar type engine in any MoPar of any kind, especially a desirable classic, even a base model clone, IMHFO is kind of sacrilege, it really shouldn't be done {I think that about a GM in a ford too}, IMO it will just devalue the car significantly, not that it matters what others think, but you will get all kinds of negative comments, from both GM & MoPar people... what is the purpose of the build ??, for a daily driver ?? if so there's plenty of affordable newer MoPar engines/platforms to choose from, Hemi's & Magnums/wedges, even V-10 Truck or Viper engines, wrecking yards full of them... it might be a slightly more $$$, to build using a MoPar drive-train, but well worth it, in value & peace of mind... It's your car thou, your choice...

good point bobtile.

didn't mean to start the GM engine debate. I didn't/haven't really thought that thru. Yall make good points
So, lets reboot.
If I were to build a car that has an original looking interior, but with some modern mechanicals....bigger brakes, modern steering, modern suspension, maybe a tremec 6 speed, and perhaps a big modern hemi.....would it matter value wise, if I started with a Coronet, or a real bee?

I've found a running, functional Coronet for just a couple of thousand more than a real no-drive train Bee. The Bee already is a 4 speed car, ralley gauges, ram air car. The coronet has non of that. but is an A/C car, so it already has the correct vents and switches.

I wouldn't chop, cut or molest the Bee. I would keep the original suspension parts in case of resale.....

Value once you go the Pro-Touring/Resto-mod or Custom route... I my experience the quality of the build, what parts are used, style even color sometimes, is more important than the rarity or originality, when it comes to value, especially if your going to mod it, change allot of stuff out anyway... I'd suggest the Coronet instead of the Super Bee, depends on your budget or taste too, you could always do a custom dash or remove the framework of the non-rally dash & install a rally gauge structure & gauges, they ain't cheap thou...

I found a bucket seat car, burnt orange coronet , 440 auto, a/c for less than $13000. In state...I could drive it home. Modify as I go. Or a real Bee across the country...shipped to me totaling about $9300. No engine or Transmission

Unlike my distinguished friend Budnicks, I am a Chevy Hater... make that Chevy Loather... make that Lifelong Chevy Loather. :) That said, I've gleefully adopted the resto-mod lifestyle, and endorse anyone to modify their car so it meets your needs. Basically, if someone would do something to these cars in the 1960s to 1980s, back when folks were more worried about looking cool or winning races than resale value, I think it's fine to do it now and that includes swapping in Brand X engines.

My only note of caution is make sure whatever you do is for the right reason. If you're like me and a lot of others who get a lot of joy out of the cool factor your car brings and attention it gets, then I would advise against using a modern engine. One of the biggest appeals of muscle cars is the engines, and when you put in a modern engine, no matter how reliable, fuel efficient, green, or powerful it is, it really takes away from the appeal of it. A lot of people today want to see a big engine with a big carb and aluminum intake and chrome air cleaner that reminds them of back in the day... not see the same engine that's in pretty much every modern car they see. If you want something with decent mileage and modern design, and that's all that's driving you to do this, then go ahead, but make sure you're willing to give up a lot of the cool factor.

good point bobtile.

didn't mean to start the GM engine debate. I didn't/haven't really thought that thru. Yall make good points
So, lets reboot.
If I were to build a car that has an original looking interior, but with some modern mechanicals....bigger brakes, modern steering, modern suspension, maybe a tremec 6 speed, and perhaps a big modern hemi.....would it matter value wise, if I started with a Coronet, or a real bee?

I've found a running, functional Coronet for just a couple of thousand more than a real no-drive train Bee. The Bee already is a 4 speed car, ralley gauges, ram air car. The coronet has non of that. but is an A/C car, so it already has the correct vents and switches.

I wouldn't chop, cut or molest the Bee. I would keep the original suspension parts in case of resale.....

If your buying it for resale mainly, ,than the Super Bee will bring more money, if done correctly, spend the money in the proper places... non-matching numbers will decrease the value sometimes as much as 25% even when done correctly...

If you want a chevy, build a chevy. Don't bastardize a good mopar. Mopar people will hate it for the chevy engine, and the chevy guys will hate it cause it's a Mopar. So, you seem to be concerned about the value of the car, there's the answer. And if you REALLY want to piss off Mopar people, put that chevy in a real Super Bee. Anybody can put an ls in something.

Build it like want and drive it like you stole it and damn the rest .. whatever you decide to get it's your car.

Seriously the value will be in the execution, be it modified or fairly stock and putting any non Mopar engine, modern or period correct, will seriously cut your potential buyer pool if you ever decide to sell.

Auto Transport Service
Back