• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superbird latch tray

70 SUPERBIRD

Local time
1:51 AM
Reaction score
Could i please get some help on the question about the correct finish on a superbird latch tray?over the years i have been going to shows i have seen flat black , gloss black and 80% black (eggshell). Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated

I restored one a couple years ago. What I used was Sikkens Rally Black. It's a real nice semi-gloss black. Available by the quart or in a rattle can (that actually sprays nice). I used it on the tray, the headlamp buckets, and around the headlamps before I added the decals. (I think the "grill" was also painted black, but I don't have any good pics of that on this computer.)

Excuse the dusty car and the cardboard spoiler template, here is a couple pics:

100_4907.jpg

100_4959.jpg

I've been looking for the info. I know when I recieved the car, the owner gave me a packet of info from a club. I think I returned it when the car was done. It listed the correct parts and finishes used for the Superbird conversion. Maybe join a club?

I know what you mean when you question the various gloss levels. It's alot like seeing a row of B5 blue cars... seems as though no 2 paint companies can agree on the same shade of blue!

Good luck!

I've been looking for the info. I know when I recieved the car, the owner gave me a packet of info from a club. I think I returned it when the car was done. It listed the correct parts and finishes used for the Superbird conversion. Maybe join a club?

I know what you mean when you question the various gloss levels. It's alot like seeing a row of B5 blue cars... seems as though no 2 paint companies can agree on the same shade of blue!

Good luck!
if you ever have finish or tech questions for aero cars or really any car just call dave @ performance car graphics he is an expert on any finish , decal , templates for location . Great guy and alway great info .

I'm coming in kind of late on this but.............. I painted my latch tray body color and it looked 100times better than black.

I'm going to make it easy and paint the whole car black!

Stuart, is your car disk brakes and, is the the original style master cylinder?

Stuart, is your car disk brakes and, is the the original style master cylinder?

Yes I added disc brakes and no that is the wrong master cyl. for disc brakes i now have the correct one and the correct proportioning value . It still had the wrong manual brakes one in the picture and i just this winter got around to getting it corrected . They work much better now ..... The correct one has a much bigger resvour . Most auto parts stores have them for around $ 20.00 . OH and i think that may have been a 69 model i had on there also as 70's the lid clips on instead of bolts on like that one did .

Attachments

• P4210890vit c.JPG
    P4210890vit c.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 394
Nice! Do you have more pics you would share? I sold mine. I miss it after seeing those pics!

Stuart, where'd ya get that giant bird for the hood, man? I need one of those for mine!

Stuart, where'd ya get that giant bird for the hood, man? I need one of those for mine!

lol its not mine its a costume time warner owns for there road runner high speed internet company. I was tryin to recreate the famous 1970 magazine air grabber ad

Attachments

• 70RunnerAd.jpg
    70RunnerAd.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 375
Auto Transport Service
Back